Check your credit card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ffhdriver
Mine would not work today. The "new" security chip had come unglued and was lost. Didn't know that could happen.
UPDATE: I looked again and there was the chip in the bottom of the billfold pocket where I keep the card.It is really thin.

Already had two chips fail. Did not fall off just failed. Just got a replacement today for the second one that went bad.

Card will still work with the bad chip in place. Around here the chip reader has to come back error three times, and then that unlocks the swipe like the old way. A private owned store I shop at said his card had went bad once already, and that he is seeing more and more customers using cards that have bad chips.

Here is a useful tip!

Sometimes the metal contacts on the chip become tarnished, dirty and will prevent them from making contact with the reader. Take a number 2 pencil eraser and GENTLY rub the chip contacts until the look bright, usually it only takes three of four passes of an eraser to make them clean.

The new chip cards only make it harder for card crackers to produce clone cards (encode a stolen/breached card dataset onto a "blank" card, and use that for 'card present' transactions). Beyond that, the chip cards in the US do nothing against fraud.

Every single card transaction needs to be PIN based to put a decent dent into fraud. But hey, we don't want to inconvenience the consumer for 9 seconds at the point-of-sale kiosk just to cut down on about 190 billion+ in annual fraud loss (source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnshaugh...o/#7e46b724390e )

Originally Posted By: Dr_Who
Here is a useful tip!

Sometimes the metal contacts on the chip become tarnished, dirty and will prevent them from making contact with the reader. Take a number 2 pencil eraser and GENTLY rub the chip contacts until the look bright, usually it only takes three of four passes of an eraser to make them clean.

I will do that next time if I get a chip read error.

I agree with Lone Ranger about the PIN requirement. I've never quite understood how that was "too much trouble" for Americans but not for the rest of the world. I have very little faith, though, in the concept of the credit card issuers passing along the savings related to reduced fraud to customers (merchants AND us) in the form of reduced processing fees, reduced late fees, and reduced interest rates.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Every single card transaction needs to be PIN based to put a decent dent into fraud. But hey, we don't want to inconvenience the consumer for 9 seconds at the point-of-sale kiosk just to cut down on about 190 billion+ in annual fraud loss (source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnshaugh...o/#7e46b724390e )

That's exactly what my card holder told me when I was talking to their fraud department about my card info getting hacked on-line somehow and used to charge about $1500 worth of stuff on-line. I just chuckled at her and said it's pretty ridiculous that people want convince over security. Might as well take the PIN requirement off the ATM machines then. As a card holder, I would like to see a PIN required for every transaction.

We've had chip and pin cards in Canada for a while now, I've never had one fail, I much prefer punching my pin in rather than signing a slip of paper.

I've never understood the decision not to go with PINs in the U.S. If the card issuers knew it would reduce fraud they could have easily just forced the change upon us. There must be something underlying the decision.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I've never understood the decision not to go with PINs in the U.S. If the card issuers knew it would reduce fraud they could have easily just forced the change upon us. There must be something underlying the decision.

Makes impulse buying harder? Well, longer.

Just a guess.

The chip stuff is pretty much as fast as a swipe, when it comes to authorization and so forth. If people are in a desperate rush, there's always tap, where available.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back