Check Those Baseplates!

I know, I know. This is drilled by everyone here to always check the baseplates for the filter gasket. I did the first oil change on this 2020 Ford F-250 diesel at the lube shop where I work. Of course it had the factory FoMoCo filter on it. Took the filter off and the gasket was stuck to the baseplate. This is why every oil change I do, I treat it like it’s my own vehicle. Baseplates are wipes completely clean before installing the new filter, and the filter and drain pan are also wiped completely clean. Kind of hard to check for leaks with everything covered in used dirty oil. I also use a paint pen and make a witness line on the plug and pan. I absolutely HATE scraping off giant blobs of silicone sealer!
22502504-F7C5-4E31-A144-80DA6B943DF5.jpeg

L8R,
Matt

In 20 years of changing my own oil I've never had that happen to me.

When I was in my late teens, the mechanic at work told me a story about how he trashed an engine because he put an oil filter on top of an old gasket.

I've been checking mine ever since but never experienced it.

I run into stuck gaskets at least a couple days a week regardless of filter manufacture. I’ve had them happen with factory filters, cheap Prime Guard, Fram, Mobil 1, etc... A year ago a new guy was in the basement and said he was clear to check start the van he was under. He said everything was clear so she shut it off. After she paid she started to leave and I saw oil on the floor. I yelled for her to stop and back up. I went downstairs and looked at the filter, and it and the bottom of the engine was covered in clean oil. I pulled the new filter off and the original gasket fell off the baseplate. I kind of chewed him out after the lady left and told him to use the rag he had hanging out his pocket from now on to make sure he saw clean metal before putting the new filter on.

L8R,
Matt

I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with a 2.7 and every oil change no matter which filter I used the oil filter gasket sticks. No leaks etc but the gasket always sticks. Look at the filter gasket area when removing it.

One part of my oil change routine is to physically run my finger across the oil filter mounting base. Helps clean it of any debris and then you become familiar with the feel of when it's "ready".

Every time I change an oil filter, I look at the mounting base and clean it off so it's spotless - regardless of how difficult the access is. I've even used a mirror and a flash light to be able to make a visual inspection of the filter mount. Just doing that will clearly detect if the old base gasket is stuck to the mount. People have smoked a motor from a double gasket on an oil filter ... such an easy thing to prevent. A smoked motor would be a hard way to learn. o_O

Last edited:
Whenever I remove the filter, I always tilt it so I can see the base plate and verify o-ring is there before I drop it into the bucket. Then I wipe the mounting base before pitting the new one on. So, basically, I'm double checking.

I also had an odd issue a couple years ago at the lube shop. A lady came in driving a then brand new Ford F350 Limited diesel. I took the filter off, cleaned the baseplate, then went to put the new filter on. I couldn't get the filter to start threading. Then I just happened to glance down and saw the nipple came out of the filter mount still stuck in the old filter. That was the first and last time I've ever had that happen! Well at least so far....

L8R,
Matt

I always clean the mounting area - it's just a good practice. I've seen stuck gaskets with anything that uses square-cut O-ring.

One more reason I prefer Japanese OEM whenever possible.

Exactly. I was taught from the beginning to clean that area.

I have never had nor heard of a Japanese OEM filter gasket getting left behind on the mount. It’s a better design plus they pre-lube the gasket for extra insurance.

I like to stab a flat bladed screw driver through the anti-drainback valve after I've pulled the filter so the oil will drain out. It's the perfect time to check to see if the gasket came off with the filter.

I like to stab a flat bladed screw driver through the anti-drainback valve after I've pulled the filter so the oil will drain out. It's the perfect time to check to see if the gasket came off with the filter.

I kind of do the same thing except I use an awl to punch a hole in the end of the can while it’s still on the car. Then emergency it’s just dripping, I take the filter off.

L8R,
Matt

The dreaded "Double Gasket" has ended many a lube techs career.
Wipe the base off!
It's like wiping your butt. You do it without thinking. Even if you knew
or could see it was clean, you still wipe it off.
I always look at the filter coming off for the old gasket, wipe the base, oil the new gasket,
double check for proper application and tighten the hell out of it (Kidding).
Need a separate forum for installers.
Oh the stories we could tell.
Pressures Up!

The dreaded "Double Gasket" has ended many a lube techs career.
Wipe the base off!
It's like wiping your butt. You do it without thinking. Even if you knew
or could see it was clean, you still wipe it off.
I always look at the filter coming off for the old gasket, wipe the base, oil the new gasket,
double check for proper application and tighten the hell out of it (Kidding).
Need a separate forum for installers.
Oh the stories we could tell.
Pressures Up!
Don't forget a little red locktite on the threads

Back