Check this out - Oil Catch Can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you notice how clean the engine was?

Talk about obsession!

I hope he doesn't discover BITOG or he'll have no life at all!
lol.gif

Buster, it looks like an example of "my catch can is bigger than yours"!
grin.gif

I'm somewhat suspicious that these catch cans may actually be generating some of the flow of the oil from the crankcase thru the PCV system.

Based on my understanding of pnuematic theory, when the PCV valve closes, the catch can actually functions as an accumulator & continues to pull vacuum from the crankcase.

Seems to me, a larger catch can would just exagerate this effect.

quote:

Originally posted by Thatwouldbegreat:
Did you notice how clean the engine was?

Talk about obsession!

I hope he doesn't discover BITOG or he'll have no life at all!
lol.gif

look at the dates from that thread, and what year his car is.

It is overkill, but I don't think we are any better here on BITOG.
grin.gif

it really depends on the vehicle. on my old eclipse gsx, a good amount of oil was pushed thru the breather line, it would get inside the intake tube, and drain down into the turbo, which sent it into the lower intercooler pipes. so theyre a good idea for dsm owners, i just rigged up a clear fuel filter that i changed monthly instead of the catch can, worked fine.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
It is overkill, but I don't think we are any better here on BITOG.

No and Yes. I think the catch can seems like quite a good idea, except for the accumulator effect Blue pointed out. But it would depend on the car though. I'm curious how much oil mine is burning now.

BITOG is much better: Over there, you have to wade through pages of childish, ignorant drivel and still not be sure you ever learned anything.

i have a cheapy catch can installed and it definately works, as it usually fills up about 1/4 of the way between changes. last couple weeks it seemed to be collecting more, so i'll have to keep an eye on the PCV valve.

as my catch can is setup after the PCV valve which is attached directly to the crankcase, i don't see how it would affect much. i also used the shortest amount of hose possible to avoid a huge volume of air in the line possibly reducing vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back