Check & Change your oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Costly negligence

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/engi...-coast-caused-by-low-oil-levels-official

772E3D90-A019-4BD8-9EF7-C90BB3AABAAD.jpeg

From what I've read, the lube level was on the lower end of the required level (but within spec) and the sea was extremely rough causing the sensors to shut the engine down.

Originally Posted by DavidJones
From what I've read, the lube level was on the lower end of the required level (but within spec) and the sea was extremely rough causing the sensors to shut the engine down.

It might be time to factor that into equation, reprogram, and make the lower level higher.

I am not educated in such engines, but I would hazard to guess that the difference between " okay but low" and "full up" oil levels might be 20 gallons?

Maybe they were trying to make it to the next oil change instead of adding oil. I know if I'm near the add oil mark on the dipstick and will be doing an oil change within the next 500 miles, I wouldn't top it off. How many miles were they from the port?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Maybe they were trying to make it to the next oil change instead of adding oil. I know if I'm near the add oil mark on the dipstick and will be doing an oil change within the next 500 miles, I wouldn't top it off. How many miles were they from the port?

Ships go by engine hours, not distance.

Originally Posted by atikovi
OK then, how many hours where they from port?

I don't know but a fair question. These maintenance events are tightly scheduled so as not to affect the cruise ships schedule.

As it has been mentioned already, a system detected the low oil and it sounds like the result was to automatically shut down the engines to avoid damage. The question to be answered is , was this due to the heavy seas that this ship probably should not have been in? It all starts there.

Any other ship has to expect heavy weather. The systems take that into account. Taking a 45 degree roll on a cruise ship is not what passengers sign up and pay for. On a cargo or naval ship, it can be expected. Heavy rolls can cause unintended consequences though.

On the Coast Guard cutter I was on in Alaska many moons ago we took a 65 degree roll. That ship thought for a while before it decided to come back upright. A couple of years later that same ship went over 67 degrees. Water went into the stacks and killed the engines. The engine room suffered major flooding. After a long yard period for repairs that ship's operating area was changed. It is now homeported in Florida.

The point of no return was tested to the max on that ship.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Jiffy Lube opened in Norway?

Ninja'd!!!!
I was going to say a Jiffy Lube tug was spotting steaming away just before the cruise ship died...

Ex-Saturn engineers built the engine, so it burned excessive oil and got low.

Just fill the oil and check the diesel!

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Newest reports say the engine maintenance guys had previously been seen purchasing "black jugs" at Dollar General

Ha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back