Cheapest Oil That's Decent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my two brother inherited my mom's '94 Ford Tempo 4 cylinder. It only has 22,000 miles on it, but the oil has been sitting in there over the winter. I might buy it from the Estate or sell it, but I want to change the oil and filter for not too much money right now. Just want to keep it fit to run and not damage the motor and I'm not usually a cheapskate on oil and filters, but I don't have much $$ to spare for maintenance on another car this month.
Think O'Reilly's 5W-30 is OK to use? It's only like, $1.48 a quart.
Thanks.
Rob

Thanks guys. Ya, I'm in Iowa but never heard of Blane's?
I think I go with O'Reilly's then because they are only a couple block away. I was at Wally World yesterday but didn't think of getting oil. I guess ST is pretty good oil for the money...I hate their new filter design though.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Pennzoil Yellow bottle is hard to beat for the price at walmart.

I see people saying this all the time, but at my Wal-Mart, Pennzoil YB, Castrol GTX, and Valvoline are all the same price @ $14.99 a 5 quart jug.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Pennzoil Yellow bottle is hard to beat for the price at walmart.

I see people saying this all the time, but at my Wal-Mart, Pennzoil YB, Castrol GTX, and Valvoline are all the same price @ $14.99 a 5 quart jug.

And I would take Pennzoil out of all of those
grin2.gif

Formula Shell is my favorite inexpensive oil. SM-rated stuff by Warren Oil Co. is fine, too.

Last edited:
river_rat,

If possible, bring a pad and pen and write down as many as you can...I'm curious myself because I haven't been to Walmart in a while.

BTW, for those unaware, you can buy Formula Shell at AAP in a 4qt jug for the everyday price of $8.95 ($2.23/qt).

Last edited:
I've yet to see anyone identify a "bad" SM rated oil. Some are better then others, but I can't remember seeing one that's just straight up bad. So as long as the O'Reilly's is SM rated, then there's nothing wrong with using it; (assuming you follow a reasonable OCI for the oil).

However, if you have one in your area Pepboys have been having some sales on oils lately. I believe this Saturday through Monday you can get 5 quarts of Peak oil and a ProLine filter for $9, and I believe that's without a rebate just a sale price this weekend. So if you've got a Pepboys around, that might be a better deal b/c it includes a filter for $1.60 more.

Also, If you don't mind a rebate, you can get 5 quarts of Valvoline conventional with a Purolator filter from Pepboys for $10 after $5 rebate.

But if there isn't a Pepboys near you, then go with the O'Reilly's cause that's a solid price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back