Cheapest + longest storage life car jumper? Series of alkaline batteries?

What about a solar panel? Some have optional connections that can be used for cell phones or other needs. It would take longer but never need maintenance. In reality you could hook it up when you arrive to keep the battery full instead of trying to charge a drained battery.

Not a cheap solution but with ultracapacitor jump starters, you don't have to keep it charged so you'd just leave it in the truck.

This is the one I use:

My uncle was camping out in the desert years ago and his truck battery died, not enough juice to crank it over. He had told me he pulled it out and atarted up his campfire and set it next to the fire for a while and got it warm. Then put it back in the truck and it was just enough to start it.

My uncle was camping out in the desert years ago and his truck battery died, not enough juice to crank it over. He had told me he pulled it out and atarted up his campfire and set it next to the fire for a while and got it warm. Then put it back in the truck and it was just enough to start it.
That's kind of what my dad had to do back in the day (he's old AF LOL). Although, they would build a fire near the rig and I think somehow get coals under it or something to warm up the block and engine bay to start it up with down to 0F or lower in temp. I think he told me a story once of how they accidentally burned one of their trucks down while out hunting because of lighting a fire under it and letting it get too hot and out of control.

To those who think it may not work if the battery is completely drained, you are probably correct. But, I haven't been dumb enough to leave anything draining power for over 20 years and only have had starting issues when the battery and/or alternator are starting to go out. In those cases, it's never been totally dead, it just dies slowly over time and eventually won't start. The likelihood of me getting stranded without power to start is very low, as I am proactive in keeping the battery and alternator in good working condition. And, while it does suck, walking 5-15 miles on a logging road is not the end of the world.

That is the whole point of doing something that costs me literally nothing extra than what I already have (wires, tape, and batteries). This setup can be put into a storage compartment in my van and left there for 7 years without the batteries going bad. It's just there in the rare case that I might need it. If I buy a $90 jumper pack, there is a very probability that I would never use it before the cells go bad from age. BUT, if I could also use it as a power source for my camera gear when out in the bush, then the jumper aspect would just be a free and nice addition to something I am already making use of.

a d cell is at least 13 AMP HOUR. a string of 11 or 12 to allow for drop. It will fcharge the battery enough to start. Leave conneted for a minute or 2, then try to start. If you battery si totally kaput this will not work

I've been thinking of carrying a backup jumper setup for my truck or van when venturing deep into the hills with no cell reception. But, I'm cheap and don't wish to buy a dedicated unit. I've seen some youtube videos where guys jumped their engines using a set of 1.5v alkaline batteries in series to boost the charge enough for a start, or also by using battery packs from cordless drills.

Seeing as how a Duracell battery is extremely reliable and can sit in storage for many years without issue, wouldn't this be a lot more reliable than a unit with rechargeable batteries and all other sorts of components that can fail?

Is there some truth to being able to jump start from such a small power source? Sometimes it's hard to tell if youtube videos are blowing BS out their BS holes.

Basically, I would only need 9-10 C or D batteries, some tape, and some wire. I could cycle the batteries out for other devices so they don't go too long towards the expiration date. I would hope this would provide enough charge to get a semi-dead battery lively enough for a start, possibly even in cold weather.
I have a lithium jump starter kit I bought off ebay for 26 bucks that has never failed me. There’s no way I’d try to assemble a alkaline pack when there are porpose built units out there this cheap. Started my 94 ford van when it’s battery failed me a month or so ago.

Good feedback, everyone. Much appreciated. (y)

I guess there is also the factor of how I love just tinkering with stuff and doing experiments. I think it would be worth hiking out of the hills for 10+ miles just to see if this method works or doesn't. There's something just primally (is this even a word? lol) fun about jury rigging cheap stuff that ends up working.

The good news is that the two year old Napa Legend Premium battery in my truck is just as garbage as the one before it that lasted 1 year. Even at 40 deg F outside, it struggles to turn over my tiny 4 banger loaded with synthetic oil. Worst battery I have ever bought in my life. Once it gets to the point of not being able to turn over the engine, and just clicks, I'll give the alkaline battery jumper a test.

Back