Cheapest Decent Mercon V compliant oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot bring myself to let the dealer do a power flush on my 04 expedition with 164k miles. I just have too many visions and stories of that power flush stirring up filings and crud that was safely sitting in some corner not bothering anyone...

But the fluid has got to have lost some of its quality, and the manual says change at 150k (how to change, I don't know, since the idiots took the plug out of the torque convertor, AND put a thermostatic block on the oil lines to the cooler)

My plan is just to do some serial pan drain and refills. But if I do that. I am going to be pouring more and more fluid in there over time, so I'd hate to use expensive stuff.

What's cheapest these days? walmart? Any other ideas?

China Mart carries Mercon V, Auto Zone carries house brand also.
Check around.

A lot of the Dex/Merc stuff is Mercon V compatible. But be sure to read each and every bottle you get. I have seen some bottles be Dex II and Mercon compatible but they say "Not to be used in MERCON V systems". Where other bottles of the same house brand stuff say "Mercon V compatible" or something thereof.

Just read the back of every bottle you pick up.

You sure you cant just pop the cooler line and do a flush? Every ford that I have played with I could get about 4 quarts (or more) out of at a time through the cooler line.

Probably advance auto and use the coupon to pick it up in store if you have one near you. Or, you can call a distributor (Chevron, Shell, etc.) and get them to sell you a few cases. Try doing a google search for oil distributors in your area. They sell trans fluid also.

Look at my post in the promotions page. aap has motorcraft mercon v for $2.75/qt - 25%, delivered to store.

Originally Posted By: chad8
Look at my post in the promotions page. aap has motorcraft mercon v for $2.75/qt - 25%, delivered to store.

All sold all over missouri. The say it was a closeout and there will be no more... Bummer....

But you find the darndest things... So I did a google shopping search for mercon V and there's a hit for Castrol Mercon V oil at Advance for 3.99. But you cannot find it when you search Advance Auto, only if you find the link via google.

Not quite as good as Motorcraft for $2.79, but after a $10 off (no 25% coupon that I could find) of $50 purchase, I had 13 quarts for $45 (taxes included), so less than $3.50 per quart....

That beats current price at Walmart and I'd think that Castrol is decent stuff.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back