Cheaper/longest OCI oil for Mitsubishi Endeavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girl has a 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor (3.8 V6) with about 48k miles.
I always keep adding oil because apparently it burns oil, and it hasn't had the oil changed in a long time..

For this car I am looking for something cheap that will allow me to run it for a long OCI because I do NOT intend to crawl under this thing often. And hopefully clean the engine.

It takes 5W20 according to the oil cap.. and takes less than 5qts.. which I think is very little for the size of the engine.
She drives 5 minutes to school in the mornings, and then 25 minutes to an institute, and then 25 minutes back home. this is in Florida.. in the summer it is between 80-90F, and winter it can be from 35 to 60F.

My thoughts was:
-$17 Jug of Supertech synthetic 5W30...
-maybe $11 jug of Mobil Clean 5000 5W20 or 5W30
-$9.50 jug of Supertech Conventional 5W20 or 5W30

Any cheap 0W20 or 0W30s out there??
What do you'll recommend for how long the car gets driven/ and my requirement?

Last edited:
If you want longer OCI, 8-10k miles, then everyday price of $20 5qt jug PP at Walmart is a good choice. M1 0W30 at $22/jug is another good buy.

The type of driving you speak of is called EXTREME SERVICE. The engine never gets up to temp, so fuel dilution and condensation never get burned/boiled off.
I would go with an inexpensive Dino oil like Mobil 5000 Drive Clean, or Penzoil Yellow Bottle, and do a 3000 mile or 6 month drain interval.

Why 3000 miles?
My wife drives 20 minutes to work, all highway. Her 2004 Xterra has a 3.5 Quart sump, and is a 6 cylinder engine, very small for the size of engine. The new Xterra's come with a 5 or 6 quart sumps (I forget).
I did a UOA of Mobil One Synthetic 10w30 after a 5000 mile run. It was pretty close to being Maxed out for the OCI, also I think I added a quart of the Mobil 1 over the whole OCI.

That being said, your Girl's drive is more extreme, 5 minutes of driving time wont do it.
Sure you could use Synthetic, but you wont see the benifit of it because that she dosent drive enough.
If you were driving 10,000+ miles a year and it was all highway it would be different.
But to and from school, 6 months or 3,000 miles on a small sump is the way to go.

If you can't get your oil up to temperature in 25 minutes when it is 90 degrees outside, there is no hope for any of us.

The five minutes is counteracted by the two twenty-five minute trips later in the drive.

Does anyone know if this engine can safely run on 5W30?

YB 5W20 Jug is at $11.50 at my walmart.. that seems like a good buy.. I heard it's a Group 2+

If not.. maybe I'll put in Supertech Synthetic 5W30 and run it until it turns black the first time to clean it. And after that maybe 6000 miles?

I need ideas...

And I was thinking to use the Supertech filter (7317) ..it's a mobil1 with different label, and under $3.

As previously mentioned, the type of service that vehicle is put into is severe service. If a 6G75 is burning oil, it's due to poor maintenance.

That being said, Mitsubishi engines like thick oil. Step up to at least a a 5W-30, like Motorcraft Synthetic Blend for instance, with an MD352627 oil filter. I would personally recommend a 40 weight, meeting a minimum of ACEA A3/B3 specifications however. If you go with the conventional route, a 10/15W-40 would very perfect...especially a European oil. I think this is the more logical option, too...because oil changes would be more frequent (3,000 miles is perfect) to get rid of fuel dilution, etc. But - if you're willing to spend the extra and go the synthetic route, 0/5W-40 is the best way forward. I think GC would be rather decent for this application, as would PP 5W-40 European Formula and M1 0W-40. You could also go with a cheaper full synthetic on sale, and change it out more frequently.

BTW, Pennzoil Long Life Gold 15W-40 is perfect for your application.
thumbsup2.gif
You could also use the OE MD352626 or Hyundai/KIA 26300-35503 filter, which are bigger as opposed to the specified MD352627.

I own an Endeavor, 2007 model. Don't know about my oil choice yet, just bought it 3 months ago. ARX rinse in progress. You said that you wanted something fairly inexpensive, with long OCI, and will clean engine, then I would suggest Mobil 1 HM 10/30...no need for 5/20 in Florida with the Endeavor. Other options I would suggest are PP 10/30 ( will clean up to 46% ) ha, or Maxlife 10/30....if after a few OCI's you are still using oil, then you might move up to a 40 wt, as suggested by Falcon. If the Endeavor has been lacking on maintenence, I would suggest servicing the tranny, diff, & TC also.

I figured it's HOT as [censored] here, she only does one 5 minute drive.. but her other drives are 20 to 30 minutes.. and in Florida heat that is more than enough to get the oil up to temperature.

I bought Mobil Clean 5000 5w30 and I'll keep it for 3k to 4k miles, by then temperatures will cool off and I'll probably put in some Pennzoil Platinum 5w20.

What is the cheapest 0W20??

Originally Posted By: MrWideTires
What is the cheapest 0W20??

Right now I think it's the Mobil 1 0w-20 when you use the $10 rebate that's available on it. Check the deals and rebates section of the forum for the rebate link, it's a $10 rebate on 5qts of M1 0w-20 and 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back