cheap oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a good cheap oil that needs a additives put in it, like the pink bottle additive.

If you are dying to use it. I recommend using it in a store brand oil. Like Napa motor oil. I would add a little to my oil around the halfway point of my OCI.

I hate to just collect it and never use it, i'm not sure how long it will last in storage.
how much is enough to put in half way in a oci, thats a good idea.

I dont think any modern motor oil needs extra additives messing up the formula. If it meets the latest, or recent specs it should be good enough without extra additives. There can be exceptions, but for most cases it's not necessary in my personal opinion.

What kind of vehicle and what are your OCI's? If you just use basic SM dino maybe add half a bottle per OCI....That'll give you higher add levels but not too high as to be of a concern. Really, using the whole bottle with a typical 4-5 qt oil change would just be giving you HDEO levels of zddp and calcium. And it's not going to thicken you up much anyway...

It was my understanding that alot of the newer oils were not using the additives like the old days because of cat failure and so I snagged up the last of the pink additive to use. I usually change when the change oil light comes on or let it go a few hundred miles more.

i don't think its newer oils per-say, i think its just the cheaper oils like house brand oils, napa, carquest, advance, Autozone etc. that lack a little

Yeah, tis the cheaper oils... Ive used NAPA, adn and am now using advanced auto 5w 30 for rinse phase of auto rx.. my enigne dosnt seem to like it so much, ive foudn that with oils with small additive packages, make my enigne noisery,a nd feels harder to drive.

Cheap oil (in price) is where you find it. If you watch for BOGO sales, rebates, and clearances, you can build yourself a nice stash of good oil at "cheap oil" prices.
I am a little concerned about dumping additives into oil, since I know nothing about how they will interact with the oil's add pack.

Quote:

What is a good cheap oil that needs a additives put in it, like the pink bottle additive.

My Colorado P/U doesn't need any more additives with it's Mobil-1 EP, but I still give it 8 ounces of VSOT every time. Not even a trace of consumption yet in over two years of ownership.

You can use an oil additive with a typical, everyday-brand of oil out there that's suitable for most-all, typical passenger cars with normal service. Not sure how much your brand will help, but I sure like the Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment.

Last edited:
Thanks, So I guess the cheap house brand oils are the low additive oils.hmmm
This subject is talked about alot on some other posts and it sounded like from the news and other sources that most name brand oils have cut way back on additives because of cataletic converter failures.

The additive levels in any ILSAC motor oils are adequate for the engines that specify them. Additional additives are not of any benefit.

True and I would have no problem using it. Of course there are many house brands from NAPA , O'reily's andvanced Auto Proline from Pep Boys that I wouldn't hesitate to use.

You can get Quaker State Peak Performance 5W30 or 10W30 and a STP oil filter for $11.99 at autozone. Seems to be running good in my Altima.

Quote:

Just throw the pink #@$%! away and get on with life.

All the pink stuff does is raise the additives to a level that was deemed perfectly normal every bit of 5 years ago.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back