cheap oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
where are you guys finding oil for under a dollar a quart. i seen one post where someon esaid they were getting oil at 49cents a quart

Good luck finding deals like that out East. Seems like all of the great deals are in the Western half of the country.

However the Pennzoil Plat deal for pocket change after rebates is a great buy
smile.gif

Another thing I can never find is when people are getting all these great prices on the clearance racks at Target, Walmart and all the various auto parts stores...I scour all of these stores in my area and never see those prices
dunno.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

I understand Dollar Tree has/Had one of the Conoco Oils (Kendal, 76, Philips 66, or Conoco) for under a buck. That would be the biggest deal on the planet.

GF4 SM rated Exxon Superflo for 65 cents after rebate
smile.gif

Wait till Kmart has it on sale for $1 and then use the $4.20 Exxon mail in rebate. Pepboys will also price match any sale ad on oil.

When I went to Kmart, they were out of Exxon, but the manager at PepBoys was happy to match the price.

Many people have said Superflo = Mobil 5000

[ January 24, 2006, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: LT4 Vette ]

I usually get my oil on sale at Checkers Auto Parts. It's usually on sale for like 89 cents/qt, but then they also have a mail-in rebate which gets the price down to 49 cents/qt.

I haven't paid over $1 per quart in a while, as I usually buy the oil by the case when it's on sale.

Brands I've used at these prices: Havoline, Chevron, Quaker State and Mobil Drive Clean.

The 99 cent a gallon Delo was SAE 30 only, though one guy got a few 15w40s for that. The story is in this thread. Unfortunately, it started on Jan 5 and so some AZs may be cleaned out, but it is worth your while to check it out.

TallPaul
Member # 2671
posted January 24, 2006 12:12 AM
"The 99 cent a gallon Delo was SAE 30 only, though one guy got a few 15w40s for that. The story is in this thread. Unfortunately, it started on Jan 5 and so some AZs may be cleaned out, but it is worth your while to check it out."

Yup, that was me. The first AZ I went to, the guy came out with five gallons of 15W40 and I acquired two more mixed in with my 12 gallons of SAE30 between four AZ stores. Nineteen gallons total.

Paul, the 25W40 sounds cool, although after downloading and reading the Chevron SAE30 info, I'd be a little apprehensive to mix another additive into an already awesome mix in fear of additive clash. Do you think a "bland" STP or SuperTech oil treatment (ZDDP and thickener) would be a better approach?
dunno.gif

I'll tell you, I think those of us that caught the $.99/gal SAE30 have one of the cheapest oil changes going. With an Advance Auto filter ($1.35 ea/buy one get one free) and five quarts to fill(we'll call it $.25/qt), my oil change comes to $2.60. Not too shabby for 5K miles.

A search on Schaeffer 132 or Moly EP will yield a lot of interesting information. Check what Molakule says. This stuff is a great supplement to any oil, but will thicken it. It should not have additive clash since the new oil analysis shows:

Chromium 1
Nickel 1
Lead 3
Tin 1
Silver 0.3
Vanadium 3

Moly 23
Phosphorus 104
Zinc 6
Antimony 23

Vi @ 40c 2545.6
Vi @ 100c 238.5
VI Index 232
TAN 0.17
TBN 0.34

The benefits are some in the Antimony, but also in the carrier, which MolaKule believes has some ester component. Anyway I happen to have some laying around and this seems the perfect use.

BTW, I thought that the carrier in the STP stuff was not the greatest stuff and so preferably not to go in my engine. Between the two, the 4-cyl STP in the Red bottle is better mainly because it is a lot thinner than the blue bottle. But VSOT is way so much better than STP that one woudl only consider STP if pinching pennies.

Never say never. There were big clearances when SL turned SM; many retailers clearanced "obsolete" lines. One cannot rely on buying four quarts and a filter at a reasonable sale price every three months. Hence the stashes.
grin.gif

Quote: "I'll tell you, I think those of us that caught the $.99/gal SAE30 have one of the cheapest oil changes going. With an Advance Auto filter ($1.35 ea/buy one get one free) and five quarts to fill(we'll call it $.25/qt), my oil change comes to $2.60. Not too shabby for 5K miles."
LOVE IT! I finally stopped at 50 changes....
grin.gif

I just went to a PepBoys today and they still have GF3 SL rated Citgo.

Citgo was discontinued recently and they were priced a 60 cents per quart (no rebate needed). I know its not as good as the GF4 SM Chevron for 49 cents (after rebate)........but Citgo would be great for a daily beater or AutoRx treatment.
smile.gif

I got 8 quarts cause my wife's Honda has a leaky Cam seal and I need a cheap oil.

A couple of times I happened upon some items at our local wal-mart that were on clearence. When they were getting rid of MC a while back, I scored 12 qts of 5W-20 for $1 each and scored 7 quarts of Valvoline Maxlife Syn 5W-30 for $1 each...

Don't see that too much anymore these days though...

I picked up 10 qts. Trop Artic semi syn today at W/M here in Monroe, MI. $1.48/qt. Wasn't going to buy any more oil, but didn't have any 5/30 T-A and can't find it anywhere in Charlotte.
grin.gif
Also, my wife wasn't there to stop me......
nono.gif

Also got 2 bottles of VSOT at Murrys for $3.99. Just can't help myself... Must buy more oil, buy more oil, buy more oil....
shocked.gif

Couple years ago I walked into Family Dollar and saw a lot of Citgo 10w30 and 5w30. Asked the price and it scanned 50 cents. I left there with all 18 quarts of the 10w30 and used it for AutoRx treatment and rinse cycles. The cashier's car was leaking oil and I told her to buy all the 5w30 for her car. She did.

Well, I just got three gallons of the 99 cent a gallon Delo SAE 30. Going to make 25w40 out of it with 8 oz Schaeffers Moly EP Oil Treatment per 6 quart fill (Moly EP is 238 cSt viscosity at 100C).

http://www.cskauto.com

checker,kragen, shucks autoparts store normally have chevron supreme on sale for .49 after rebate about once a month. I purchased 3 cases last fall at that price. It takes a long time to get your rebate from them, but you will get it.

Check the web site for a store near you, then click on the the weekly sales.

I saw a Schuck's coupon for "Mobil oil" for $.99/qt. It stated that it excludes High Mileage and Delvac. I looked at that and thought, "Mobil 1 & EP are both "Mobil oils", and it doesn't specifically exclude them, maybe if I argue enough I could get them for $1/qt." Then I realized that I have too much oil already and don't want to look like an idiot. If anybody does successfully argue for some M1 or M1 EP out of that coupon, let us know!

sjlee
Member # 4497

posted 23 January, 2006 21:49
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I usually get my oil on sale at Checkers Auto Parts. It's usually on sale for like 89 cents/qt, but then they also have a mail-in rebate which gets the price down to 49 cents/qt.

I haven't paid over $1 per quart in a while, as I usually buy the oil by the case when it's on sale.

Brands I've used at these prices: Havoline, Chevron, Quaker State and Mobil Drive Clean.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 158 | From: WI | Registered: Jul 2004 | IP: Logged |
IT's now 99 cents a quart now with rebate right now for chevron but its still less than $1 qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back