Cheap Filters Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are two filters for many Asian cars. First is a Promotive:

Next is a Napa Pro-Select

To be honest, these look pretty good to me. I don't see much of a point in using anything more expensive...

Do a forum search here on my encounter with a ProSelect filter. Upon startup my engine rattle sounded like a woodpecker on a street light!
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Upon startup my engine rattle sounded like a woodpecker on a street light!
shocked.gif

Thanks for a good laugh to start the day.
lol.gif

A ProSelect Oil Filter should not be in the same category as a Napa Pro-Select Oil Filter.

What are the prices of these two oil filters?

I would think the Napa oil filter would be more expensive.

Originally Posted By: DaHen
Upon startup my engine rattle sounded like a woodpecker on a street light!
shocked.gif

Thanks for a good laugh to start the day.
lol.gif

That got me too.....
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Do a forum search here on my encounter with a ProSelect filter. Upon startup my engine rattle sounded like a woodpecker on a street light!
shocked.gif

Can we get a sound clip of that? I live in the country, only the stars, no street lights.

Obviously it makes for a convenient work table for messy jobs that is easy to wipe down. If you look just to the left you can also see a few items that can quickly be disassembled when something like a broomhandle is needed.

Jocularity aside, and getting back to the OP's point, I don't see the wisdom in proclaiming these good enough based on visuals alone. Not that they couldn't be just fine but if you are going to pass judgement, you should know a little more. As in, sure Jodie Arias looked great with her clothes off but who wants to be dissected in the shower because you didn't look deeper than the skin.

IMO, the nitrile ADBV makes it a 7.5K filter. We don't have efficiency specs but presumably they are average... ~92% @ 20 um and absolute around 40 um.That's enough for the average engine . Some of the cheap filters may be worse because the money is in the media and these are price point filters. Because they are cellulose media, you have to consider the amount of media area in the filter as well so you don't overload the media with too long an OCi.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Jocularity aside, and getting back to the OP's point, I don't see the wisdom in proclaiming these good enough based on visuals alone. Not that they couldn't be just fine but if you are going to pass judgement, you should know a little more. As in, sure Jodie Arias looked great with her clothes off but who wants to be dissected in the shower because you didn't look deeper than the skin.

IMO, the nitrile ADBV makes it a 7.5K filter. We don't have efficiency specs but presumably they are average... ~92% @ 20 um and absolute around 40 um.That's enough for the average engine . Some of the cheap filters may be worse because the money is in the media and these are price point filters. Because they are cellulose media, you have to consider the amount of media area in the filter as well so you don't overload the media with too long an OCi.

As usual JA, my IQ points seem to improve about filters after you "school" me on them.
I know you have stated the numbers about MC filters but in your opinion is it rated as an "average" filter?

I have used the Purolator on hundreds of cars at my shop and have never had one defect on me or a customer. These are pretty good filters for the price point.

Originally Posted By: toyo
I have used the Purolator on hundreds of cars at my shop and have never had one defect on me or a customer. These are pretty good filters for the price point.

A lot of members here like Purolator filters. But this thread is not about Purolator filters. It's about ProSelect filters.

As usual JA, my IQ points seem to improve about filters after you "school" me on them.
I know you have stated the numbers about MC filters but in your opinion is it rated as an "average" filter?

Average efficiency. Above average construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back