Cheap filter fanatic/curious? Stay tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is obviously a silent tally... but deep down, do you secretly long to buy inexpensive oil filters because you use dino oil or do
I mailed '53 Stude (Give the man a shout out!) over a dozen new and used filters including like 6-8 (can't remember) Prime Guard and EcoGuard filters along with some other ones. I've asked him to bare all on the new $1.99 filters to help those of you that have access make informed decisions to save some hard-earned Washingtons.... cuz all these filters cost are 8 quarters each! There is a smattering of M20x1.5 and 3/4-16 filters, so hopefully something that covers your commuter car. There are also a couple used NAPA Golds, an EcoGuard, and Fram Ultra for your viewing pleasure.

Like I said, be sure to give '53 props for continuing to spend his free time to document all kinds of filters for board members to view. Hope it's a weekend full of filter pron for everyone!

Chris

‘53 is very much appreciated on this forum ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘
As many of you are as well !!ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Can't wait to see these!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by kstanf150

34.gif
08.gif
10.gif

Love to see filter torn into to...also am I the only one that has to match brands of filters in their car? Same brand for oil, air and cabin? Maybe I'm just weird lol

Originally Posted by Bettez88
Love to see filter torn into to...also am I the only one that has to match brands of filters in their car? Same brand for oil, air and cabin? Maybe I'm just weird lol

I like DENSO

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Stated perfectly ^^^^^^^

You guys add a whole, whole lot here... Best of the best.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

... but deep down, do you secretly long to buy inexpensive oil filters because you use dino oil or do

NO.

I don't really get the whole CHEAPEST oil filter quest. If oil filters were $ 100's of dollars or more, then maybe. But they're not.

Engines ARE multiple $ THOUSANDS of dollars ... why risk it by being cheap ?

I'm not a fanatic for the cheapness. The difference between 95% and 99% is so minute for the price differences that I'm unwilling to spend 2-4x as much money for something thats 40/1000 different.
I can get a 2-4$ filter that's 950/1000 (95%) or a 9$ filter that's what, 990"+"/1000 (99+%),

I highly doubt my engines are gonna last longer using the latter, theres fleet vehicles such as taxis out there using the cheapest bidder oil filter with much worse filter efficiency than 95% and they're rocking fine at hundreds of thousands of miles.
21.gif

---

Originally Posted by wemay
I still like Car Quest R85334 and Purolator Red L14459 filters. Yup, I'm the one.

Theres probably thousands of people out there running millions of trouble free miles using the same. Weve seen pics here and there of tears etc, but at the end of the day I can honestly say I've never had a tear or failure on a Purolator product. And if I have, it was unnoticable to me upon inspection afterwards. K&N otoh, yes, I have, but that was years ago and was resolved by the company.

Last edited:
Cheap is subjective.

I'd rather run a Fram Extra Guard than say the Champion or STP posted above. Last I knew, both were made off shore and the Fram Likely costs less.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
than say the Champion or STP posted above. Last I knew, both were made off shore .

Champion is Made in Mexico.... same as Mobil 1 ( if I recall correctly)

Many Fleetguard filters are also made in mexico.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by dlundblad
than say the Champion or STP posted above. Last I knew, both were made off shore .

Champion is Made in Mexico.... same as Mobil 1 ( if I recall correctly)

Many Fleetguard filters are also made in mexico.

So are many Wix / Napa filters, like this one ...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

I mailed '53 Stude (Give the man a shout out!) over a dozen new and used filters including like 6-8 (can't remember) Prime Guard and EcoGuard filters along with some other ones. I've asked him to bare all on the new $1.99 filters to help those of you that have access make informed decisions to save some hard-earned Washingtons.... cuz all these filters cost are 8 quarters each! There is a smattering of M20x1.5 and 3/4-16 filters, so hopefully something that covers your commuter car. There are also a couple used NAPA Golds, an EcoGuard, and Fram Ultra for your viewing pleasure.

And if anyone likes what they see with the EcoGuards and want to know the actual filtering efficiency, you can email them directly and they will provide you with all the specs of whatever filter you are interested in. Just be specific in your request like if you want to know what the efficiency is at 20um, then ask for it at 20um.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back