cheap electric air compressor oil

I just changed the oil out in my cheapie air compressor, which based on the amount of metal visible in the oil, i should have done years ago. anyway, it is winter and it always has a hard time starting when it gets down around 20°F or lower so i put in Non Detergent SAE10W oil. I also bought some "synthetic blend" of unknown weight that says it is supposed to be better for extreme temperatures (high and low), but opted for the 10w because i figured a flush with a short OCI would be a good idea. so the question is: what's the upper temperature range at which i should change out the 10W? 50°F? 60°F no owner's manual to be found, and can't find much on the net otherwise. i will say this, the 10W makes the compressor much easier to fire up in the cold! thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Perhaps some Rotella T6 5W-40? Lots of detergents, great cleaning power... Mobil1 0W-30 might be considered, or 0W-40...

Last edited:
I would use a multi-weight synthetic, Amsoil would be good. You only use a QT or so, so cost should not be a big issue.

meborder

thanks for the suggestions. no, cost is not an issue. i think it uses about 1/3 of a Qt. the semi synthetic was $10/qt, but was labeled specifically for air compressors. i was just going to use that, but after seeing how bad the old oil was (never changed it before) i figured a 6month stint with the SAE 10 over the winter wouldn't be a bad idea. just not sure when i should change it out.... that is to say when it becomes to thin to work properly.

Originally Posted By: meborder
just not sure when i should change it out.... that is to say when it becomes to thin to work properly.
I feel spring begins when the bindweed sprouts in the front yard or I see the first blob of bird poop on the driveway.