Cheap diesel at one station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a station yesterday with diesel at $2.829 a gallon. My car was low so I pulled in and filled up. I was across town for an appointment and looked at every other diesel price I came across travelling home, maybe 20 places. The lowest I saw was $3.159. I bought the fuel at a Sinclair station and saw two others, one at $3.299 and the Flying J truckstop at $3.559. What would account for this significantly lower price at a single station do you figure?

golfs519.jpg

Competition, maybe? What station was it? Around here, the cheapest ones are the best ones to get diesel from because they turn it over fast-many times the expensive guys don't sell much & it starts getting watery.

With the alleged slowdown in trucking underway, they might've had to liquidate some excess inventory to make room for the next contracted shipment.

Most name brand is 2.99 or so, some are gouging at 3.39 on the highway. No name is 2.79 up the block near me, the cheapest Ive seen for the Deltas and under crowd.

Pilot/Flying J and similar big chain truck stops (Petro, T/A, Love's) ALWAYS have extremely high diesel prices compared to "regular" gas stations in the same area. Sometimes Love's Country Stores (non-truck stops, but sometimes with a couple truck lanes) have more competitive prices, but the trucks stops never do. I guess they know they can gouge truckers because loaded semis can't fuel up at Walmart, so us "auto diesel" customers get the same inflated price. Sometimes other medium sized stations with truck lanes, but not a truck stop/travel center, do have very good prices.

It's kind of a similar situation around me where there is a newish (under 2 years old) QuikTrip and newish (under 1 year old) RaceTrac that have held steady at $2.87-$2.89/gallon vs all the other stations around that are $3.19-$3.29. Newer tanks because they are new stations, good brand with little risk in bad diesel, great service and clean stores - I'm not mad about it.

My other half who drives the '11 and much to my chagrin will fill up anywhere and only put 5 gallons in here, 7 gallons in there, etc. That engine has much more diesel rattle until I steal it and give it a full tank of QT and the old fuel works itself out of the lines.

BTW - nice TDI stable you have going on there, better engine too. I like the EA189 just fine but the EA288 is just better all around, especially fuel economy.

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
$2.79-$2.89 average here, seen gouging as high as $3.69.

thats cheap, i pay about 5,67€ per gallon

Originally Posted by Cubey
Pilot/Flying J and similar big chain truck stops (Petro, T/A, Love's) ALWAYS have extremely high diesel prices compared to "regular" gas stations in the same area. Sometimes Love's Country Stores (non-truck stops, but sometimes with a couple truck lanes) have more competitive prices, but the trucks stops never do. I guess they know they can gouge truckers because loaded semis can't fuel up at Walmart, so us "auto diesel" customers get the same inflated price. Sometimes other medium sized stations with truck lanes, but not a truck stop/travel center, do have very good prices.

All of the major fleets have fleet accounts with these chains and are not paying the price on the sign. They are paying a negotiated price based on the galleons purchased for the month fleet wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back