Cheap bike but fun

For 20 years I haven’t got into ridding a bike . During a trip to visit my parent and brother . I happen to saw my old cheap bike I bought from academy for $100 . And I think I drove it 3-5 time and it’s been in the garage for 3 years .

today I took it out to a park near by . I forgot how fun it was . I might turn this into a 3-4 time a week riding thing .

The chain was all dry up . So I spray it down with some fluid film . It’s all smooth . Also bought a lock chain and a water bottle holder . I’m not a hardcore bike so don’t suggest me a $700 bike . This cheap bike is casual all I need

4408FA75-2C7B-4C7E-9782-DFCB0C278DE0.jpeg
751A34B6-096C-4B4B-91A5-579327524021.jpeg

Last edited:
I forgot how fun it was . I might turn this into a 3-4 time a week riding thing . This cheap bike is casual all I need

Glad you discovered your bike again, few things in adult life let you feel like a kid again like riding a bike. Sure hope you love it enough to ride 3-4 times a week but if you do guaranteed the cheap bike won't be good enough. Money well spent. (y)

fluid film on a chain sounds dirt nasty to me. I think it would be about 99 out of 100 on the list. of spray lubes I would use.

Glad you discovered your bike again, few things in adult life let you feel like a kid again like riding a bike. Sure hope you love it enough to ride 3-4 times a week but if you do guaranteed the cheap bike won't be good enough. Money well spent. (y)
Mabe I’m getting old that why riding bike again make me feel good lol

Good for you. You do not have to have an expensive bike to have fun. For around 20 years I have been riding a very old even at that time, an American made Murray 18 spd.mountain bike which I bought for 15 dollars at a garage sale. Tires are the only things I have to put into it. Mostly road and an occassional trail, it works for me.

By the way the water bottle is supposed to be on the frame tube that goes from the front end to the pedals. That might cause a problem if you have to stop in a hurry and slip ahead. :sick:
I have also seen them on the frame between the front derailer and seat clamp. Whatever works.

I last rode my bike about 10 years ago. I hurt so much for the following week, I attempted to get back on it, but couldn't stand the pain. I had an aftermarket padded seat on it, but my rear end felt like someone had kicked me repeatedly with steel-toe boots. I'm so out of shape.

I really should get the old girl down out of the attic, re-grease all the bearings, put some new tires on it and get back on the road. I've kept it around all these years because it was a gift and I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. The entire frame looks chromed, and lord knows I love shiny things. LOL

I last rode my bike about 10 years ago. I hurt so much for the following week, I attempted to get back on it, but couldn't stand the pain.
You went too far and the bike wasn't adjusted correctly. Big mistake people make starting out is riding until kinda tired then having to ride back. The first 6 or so rides should be way shorter than you think. Give your classic some love and try it again. Photos of a classic bike always enjoyed.

I would definitely look at the seat height it looks awfully low maybe not glad you enjoining the ride.
For 20 years I haven’t got into ridding a bike . During a trip to visit my parent and brother . I happen to saw my old cheap bike I bought from academy for $100 . And I think I drove it 3-5 time and it’s been in the garage for 3 years .

today I took it out to a park near by . I forgot how fun it was . I might turn this into a 3-4 time a week riding thing .

The chain was all dry up . So I spray it down with some fluid film . It’s all smooth . Also bought a lock chain and a water bottle holder . I’m not a hardcore bike so don’t suggest me a $700 bike . This cheap bike is casual all I need

View attachment 53757View attachment 53758

It’s not about the bike lol

He's trying to give you a tip about seat height. A good place to start is when seated and the pedal is down and the crank arm is in line with the seat tube when you put your heel on the pedal your leg should be straight. So when you pedal on the balls of your feet there will be a bit of a bend in your knees. This is efficient and doesn't hurt anything from the seat being too high or low.

I feel fi
He's trying to give you a tip about seat height. A good place to start is when seated and the pedal is down and the crank arm is in line with the seat tube when you put your heel on the pedal your leg should be straight. So when you pedal on the balls of your feet there will be a bit of a bend in your knees. This is efficient and doesn't hurt anything from the seat being too high or low.

Thanks for the tips I will be looking into it .

MetalSlug, how tall are you? Maybe that configuration fits you fine. That bike looks like a 26", but tough to tell from pics.

20210416_201754.jpg
Nice :) I just fixed up a Skykomish Marble Point, gets the job done and don't have to worry about the dregs of humanity stealing it. Pedalled it 14 miles today.

BTW, what is Academy?

Back