Cheap backyard radiator/cooling system flush ideas?

Looking to do a cheap backyard flush on my old 1997 silverado. Any ideas?? I have a lot of different chemicals/cleaners around the garage that I could use. Just don't want to use anything too strong and "eat" through anything. I read somewhere to use Tide liquid. Any ideas on where to put the garden hose?? Heater core inlet? Or at the large hoses that come off of the radiator? Tom

you dont really want sudzy, Citric acid is good you can buy ready to go stuff for about 5$
such as

Prestone Radiator Flush + Cleaner 22 oz for 4$​

I don't have the info off the top of my head but some google searching will reveal the active ingredient sold as a "tank cleaner." I had bought the brand name "tank cleaner" at tractor supply but later found out what the active ingredient was in it. I have it at home and can look for it tonight.

/\
It's not recommended by CLR. From their FAQ

Can I use CLR to clean out my radiator?​

No, CLR should not be used on a car radiator for two reasons. First, CLR may not be compatible with the internal metals of the radiator. Second, it could have adverse effects if the CLR is not rinsed out completely.

What are you trying to clear out? Oil? Lime? Rust? Do you have hard water? Soft?

The citric acid flushes are good for lime.

2 teaspoons of automatic dishwasher detergent is good for oil.

Numerous water flushes are good for rust.

If it's just "maintenance", do the water flushes-- dump, drive a day, repeat for a week, then refill with 100% to get your 50/50.

What are you trying to clear out? Oil? Lime? Rust? Do you have hard water? Soft?

The citric acid flushes are good for lime.

2 teaspoons of automatic dishwasher detergent is good for oil.

Numerous water flushes are good for rust.

If it's just "maintenance", do the water flushes-- dump, drive a day, repeat for a week, then refill with 100% to get your 50/50.
Not sure what I'm cleaning out. The prior maintenance history on the truck is mostly unknown. The old antifreeze looks old and weak. Not sure what the freezing protection level is at. I do have a bag of citric acid in the pantry that I use to clean the dishwasher now and then.

Thanks everyone for all advice and tips!

Back