Charging standardization

If manufacturers want EV's to succeed and be adopted more readily, why don't all the manufacturers use a standardized charging port. Are there any talks between the manufacturers to have one type of port so any car can be charged at any charging station. Imagine if each ICE used a different type of fuel!

I thought there was standardization. But you're very right, they need one plug for all.

Musk offered other manufacturers the use of his charging network. They declined.
I don't get it...
My understanfing is some are starting to do so.

It is really dumb and hurts EV adoption. Europe was smart and kinda-sorta standardized with CCS. The USA/North America is a mess.

Tesla even went to CCS in Europe.

Skip to 11:00 for info about plug types.

Last edited:
They mostly all take the same plug, the J1772 connector at this point and it is available at most charge stations.
Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean non-Teslas can use Tesla Superchargers?
I have never seen any other car on a Supercharger.

Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean non-Teslas can use Tesla Superchargers?
I have never seen any other car on a Supercharger.

That's a handshake issue I think? I DO believe that you can charge non-Tesla cars on Tesla chargers that are not superchargers however, as I saw that mentioned on the e-tron messageboards.

As far as L2 it seems J1772 is the standard - don't think I have seen another style L2 plug. For DC you have the J1772 with the DC prongs on bottom (not sure what is called) then that Chademo which I think is pretty much dead in North America as I believe even Nissan is ditching it (North America only).

Tesla is the odd man out with their own plug with adapters to connect to J1772 - I'm pretty certain every single other manufacturer is J1772 plug.

As far as I know Superchargers are the only high speed charging where the car handshakes back to billing.
You dont need to stand outside and wave credit cards around.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 7.48.10 PM.png

^ Engineering Explained just did a video today on the VW ID.4. He mentioned at the Electrify America (VW funded) stations the Ford Mach-e is just plug and go, whereas the ID.4 (ironically) needs to be activated within an app.

Nice system if you can just plug in with no other steps!

^ Engineering Explained just did a video today on the VW ID.4. He mentioned at the Electrify America (VW funded) stations the Ford Mach-e is just plug and go, whereas the ID.4 (ironically) needs to be activated within an app.

Nice system if you can just plug in with no other steps!

Electrify America has a card for virtual wallet (iPhone that I know of at least), you just tap your phone to the station, authorize with face ID if needed and it starts the charging session without having to jump through the hoops he went through. I will say the quirk of the navigation not finding Electrify America charging stations is a huge miss and that would annoy the piss out of me.

One other note - this thing is a porker at 4600 lbs. My E-Golf is a svelte 3300 lbs in comparison (albeit it has 1/3rd the range).

Electrify America has a card for virtual wallet (iPhone that I know of at least), you just tap your phone to the station, authorize with face ID if needed and it starts the charging session without having to jump through the hoops he went through. I will say the quirk of the navigation not finding Electrify America charging stations is a huge miss and that would annoy the piss out of me.

One other note - this thing is a porker at 4600 lbs. My E-Golf is a svelte 3300 lbs in comparison (albeit it has 1/3rd the range).

You think that's bad, check out the weight of the e-tron, lol.

Back