Changing Transmission Fluid on BMW X3, Without Jacking the Car off the Ground

Which fluid? You just linked a general link. This is my first oil change with my x3. It was previously done with dealer( pre BITOG). So I assume it was 0w-30 ll-01 fe. I’m going with Castrol or Valvoline 5w-40. I will be doing the oil change this week.
In N20 go Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. Low Zinc levels are better for that sensitive timing chain.

You are doing transmission every 60-75k. Don’t try to save money here.
I was thinking of doing a couple of drain and fills. I'm at 85k miles on factory fill. If I can get something just as good cheaper, than what's the point?

Do you think all of these companies that recommend their universal ATF for the ZF 8 have no idea what they're doing.

In N20 go Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. Low Zinc levels are better for that sensitive timing chain.
How much zinc is in it?
Edit: The previous owner had the timing chain and guides replaced.

I was thinking of doing a couple of drain and fills. I'm at 85k miles on factory fill. If I can get something just as good cheaper, than what's the point?

Do you think all of these companies that recommend their universal ATF for the ZF 8 have no idea what they're doing.
They know what they doing. But ask this question: does ZF knows what should go into their transmission or Valvoline knows better?

They know what they doing. But ask this question: does ZF knows what should go into their transmission or Valvoline knows better?
ZF doesn’t test other fluids in their transmissions. Why would they?
Doesn’t mean Valvoline can’t test it’s fluid and deem it good.
I’m not a chemist. But I’m sure someone at Valvoline and ZF are.

ZF doesn’t test other fluids in their transmissions. Why would they?
Doesn’t mean Valvoline can’t test it’s fluid and deem it good.
I’m not a chemist. But I’m sure someone at Valvoline and ZF are.
ZF does test other fluids. You are dead set on MaxLife. Go get it and change. Don’t assume things like ZF is not doing this but Valvoline is doing that. Just change it, and move on.

Which fluid? You just linked a general link. This is my first oil change with my x3. It was previously done with dealer( pre BITOG). So I assume it was 0w-30 ll-01 fe. I’m going with Castrol or Valvoline 5w-40. I will be doing the oil change this week.
The very first one, ATF/CVT universal fluid. They just came out with it not that long ago. I would trust Castrol more than Valvoline.

It's hard to find LL01-FE oil that's officially approved, isn't it? When Shell gets involved with a manufacturer, they pull all sorts of shenanigans.

ZF does test other fluids. You are dead set on MaxLife. Go get it and change. Don’t assume things like ZF is not doing this but Valvoline is doing that. Just change it, and move on.
What other fluids does ZF test? And, I’m not set on Maxlife. I’ll use it in my 2011 328i

The very first one, ATF/CVT universal fluid. They just came out with it not that long ago. I would trust Castrol more than Valvoline.

It's hard to find LL01-FE oil that's officially approved, isn't it? When Shell gets involved with a manufacturer, they pull all sorts of shenanigans.
I wouldn’t use the CVT/Step Tronic fluid. And LL-01 was originally called for in my engine. Then CAFE got to BMW

What other fluids does ZF test? And, I’m not set on Maxlife. I’ll use it in my 2011 328i
They will test anything that might be popular. ZF8 is most widely used transmission.
But, I thought you are using it in X3? Or I missed something? If 328 auto, it is Dexron VI. Any will do it. Valvoline, Mobil1, Castrol, whatever.

They will test anything that might be popular. ZF8 is most widely used transmission.
But, I thought you are using it in X3? Or I missed something? If 328 auto, it is Dexron VI. Any will do it. Valvoline, Mobil1, Castrol, whatever.
Thought I was using what in my x3? Valvoline Maxlife is very similar to Dexron VI. And a couple of well known members have used it in theirs. How do you know ZF tests other fluids?

I wouldn’t use the CVT/Step Tronic fluid. And LL-01 was originally called for in my engine. Then CAFE got to BMW
It's universal transmission fluid, the ZF 8 Speed is supported by this fluid.

It's amazing how all perfomance applications still require a full SAPS motor oil. I'm sure otherwise Daimler-Benz would call for MB229.51 or 52 instead MB229.5 for their AMG vehicles, lol.

Thought I was using what in my x3? Valvoline Maxlife is very similar to Dexron VI. And a couple of well known members have used it in theirs. How do you know ZF tests other fluids?
What do you think ZF is? Listen, if you fishing for someone to agree with your confirmation bias, keep going. That person is not me. Valvoline might work (probably will) OK. ZF8 will work ok for sure. That is difference. I know, I worked with them long time ago when company I was working for was developing certain transmission fluids for commercial vehicles. ZF can tomorrow swallow Valvoline on the market, yet your assumption is ZF is not doing something but Valvoline is. If I had X3 or whatever BMW with ZF transmission, only ZF fluid would go in. I had X5 and I only used ZF6. Didn’t even entertain other options. Manual transmission is different story.
I said I thought you are looking for oil for X3 not 328. Yes, MaxLife will work ok in 328.

What do you think ZF is? Listen, if you fishing for someone to agree with your confirmation bias, keep going. That person is not me. Valvoline might work (probably will) OK. ZF8 will work ok for sure. That is difference. I know, I worked with them long time ago when company I was working for was developing certain transmission fluids for commercial vehicles. ZF can tomorrow swallow Valvoline on the market, yet your assumption is ZF is not doing something but Valvoline is. If I had X3 or whatever BMW with ZF transmission, only ZF fluid would go in. I had X5 and I only used ZF6. Didn’t even entertain other options. Manual transmission is different story.
I said I thought you are looking for oil for X3 not 328. Yes, MaxLife will work ok in 328.
It's interesting how the OP is not concerned about mixing the Valvoline MaxLife with the residual couple of quarts of Lifeguard fluid left in there.

You seem to know a lot about this stuff. I need to replace the fluid on a 2014 KIA Sorento by doing like 3 drains and refills to get everything out. I don't even entertain the thought of paying for SP-IV fluid. Would you recommend MaxLife or the Castrol ATF/CVT that I linked above? And what do you think about Amsoil ATL?

Zf is much more superior due to the amber color.
I hate dyed atf but still use it.

Back