Changing Transmission Fluid on BMW X3, Without Jacking the Car off the Ground

It’s something I always did on FWD because you’d often find an online video where somebody drained and measured X and I did too. With these it’s a missed opportunity to be precise doing the top up and temp thing - and if I can put in a drain plug - then I’m trusting myself going forward. I know a guy who has done a couple of his vehicles with a digital meat probe (Audi and Dodge) … guess I’m trying to figure out why that’s not good enough …
I established the fluid level was correct from the factory on both my Jeeps early on after having a couple of friends on Jeep forums who had incorrect levels out of the factory. A Jeep A-tech buddy checked mine for me and said both were filled correctly, but stated he ran into a few that weren't. Now that I have a drain plug on my Liberty's transmission pan and an accurate way to check the level, doing a fluid swap is quick and easy, and I'm confident the level is spot on when I'm done.

It might just be easier for me to buy the 30 dollar bluetooth obd2 adapter and use the bimmer link app. I'll probably just do that and fill with some kind of fluid

Ya, I’ll just measure what comes out and add half a quart more.
I don't know what the total capacity is, but for some vehicles, an extra half-quart is a lot. If this is to account for spillage, I doubt you'll spill that much.

I don't know what the total capacity is, but for some vehicles, an extra half-quart is a lot. If this is to account for spillage, I doubt you'll spill that much.
ZF says overfill by half a quart

ZF says overfill by half a quart
How do they reference that ? Drain it, measure it, and still add a 1/2 quart ? As others have said, it's critical to get the proper baseline first though in case it was overfilled at the factory, even by a small amount. Each time you refill and add an extra 1/2 quart, that doesn't sound right.... Is it easy to drain or remove fluid if it's overfilled ?

How do they reference that ? Drain it, measure it, and still add a 1/2 quart ? As others have said, it's critical to get the proper baseline first though in case it was overfilled at the factory, even by a small amount. Each time you refill and add an extra 1/2 quart, that doesn't sound right.... Is it easy to drain or remove fluid if it's overfilled ?
I have no idea. I’m just going to fill until it comes out fill hole, then shift through all gears. Wait until ~49C, fill until spills, then call it good

I didn't say that thy do.

I imagine there was colaboration between ZF and Shell to develop this transmission fluid.
ZF had several blenders. Whenever there is blending by company, there is collaboration. But there is nothing uber secret about this and nothing stops ZF to change blender which they did numerous times before. ZF6 fluid was originally made by two blenders, Esso and Pentosin. Then by Shell and ZF kept Shell for ZF8. Tomorrow it could be pretty much anyone.

I didn't say that thy do.
Didn't say you did (I tried to quote an earlier post to add context but it was on a previous page and it's difficult to do it). Just wanted anyone that read that to realize that a company might produce/private-label a product for someone else but that doesn't mean a similar product they happen to sell will be the same thing. It could be.... Or it may be different.

Didn't say you did (I tried to quote an earlier post to add context but it was on a previous page and it's difficult to do it). Just wanted anyone that read that to realize that a company might produce/private-label a product for someone else but that doesn't mean a similar product they happen to sell will be the same thing. It could be.... Or it may be different.
I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention to cause any confusion.
It’s made with gold flakes
Wow!

Can you get the filter cheaper elsewhere? I've read others using maxlife without issues. Are there any cross members or exhaust pipes in the way of accessing the pan?
Idk. It’s stupid that the filter is part of the pan. I’ll probably go Maxlife and OEM pan/filter

Back