Changing the oil and the mysteries of 0W-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an interesting and informative article. Been on the forum for several years. But first time to post! I posted it in Euro forum yesterday. I thought people may be interested in reading it here as well.

http://articles.sae.org/13555/

from Automotive Engineering Magazine

My Favorite quote:

synthetic oil is now just another marketing term,” Mobil 1’s Tsurusaki said. He noted that nowadays it’s hard to say exactly what synthetic oil is, “though we know what we think it is.”

Posted posted twice twice?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3535066/Re:_Changing_the_oil_and_the_m#Post3535066

I posted the original one in Euro section. People here may be interested in the article as well.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Not a bad article.

Except for this bit:

Quote:
The less a motor oil’s behavior changes from hot to cold, the higher its viscosity index, which is marked with a “W”.

Ed

I'm still trying to get a handle on the low viscosity engine oils and the reason for them.

After reading through information on PC-11 and GF-6 I've come to the conclusion that the
lighter engine oils are being developed for fuel economy.

Then several threads appear promoting those lighter viscosity lubricants for use in
race and high performance applications.

So I took a common sense look at the issue and this is part of what I came up with:

1. Use heavier engine oils if your common sense and experience tells you that is the
correct rout to take.
2. Don't use heavy grade engine oils for the sake of using them, because those heavy oils may be part or contribute to an existing problem.
Such as oil friction generated heat.

3. Don't use light weight engine oils for the sake of using them if there is no clear objective in their application.
4. Don't use light weight engine oils if they may cause undesirable side effects in your application.

Originally Posted By: aggieMsport
I posted the original one in Euro section. People here may be interested in the article as well.

laugh.gif
True...great article wherever it is!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Not a bad article.

Except for this bit:

Quote:
The less a motor oil’s behavior changes from hot to cold, the higher its viscosity index, which is marked with a “W”.

Ed

Yup, the section of the article covering the "W" designation is a bit off, but it is otherwise a good read. It seems to be meant for a "general" audience, one that isn't familiar at all with oil development or formulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back