Changing Smart phone plans - Which one??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. We have two smart phones on a Verizon plan. The contract is up, and now we are paying "month to month". Our bill is about $180, and it also includes a "dumb" phone. It is through Verizon. What are our options? We like the Verizon service, but are sick of paying $180+ for service. Any suggestions? Thanks

We have C-Spire (formally Cellular South) down here. 4 phones with unlimited everything $65 each $280 a month. And trust me I feel it each month. Don't have to tell me about expensive.

A couple three phones with unlimited data always throw you over $100 with the big boys. We have used Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. They all have their pluses and minuses. Well except T-Mobile. They are all negative in my book because the coverage and signal strength in this area suck worse than absolute vacuum. Then after the contract that isn't really a contract runs out they start whammoing you for all kinds of mysterious $100 fees. Frack.

Verizon. Good coverage here. Just expensive. And no give.

AT&T seem to be best right now. Good coverage, lowest price. Phones expensive. We are using them now through a 3rd party. It costs less, but some features like parental control are not available. Don't need those features so all good.

In the same boat with the same Verizon plan. After shopping and comparing all the variables, I just signed another contract with them. After eighteen years, I've learned to take my punishment.

Republic wireless phones use Wifi with cellular as back up. Plans from $5 a month. Full unlimited at $25 a month. Amazing bargain in these times. I have had mine for almost a year. Their phones, Motorola moto-G, start at $149 and no contract. Worth checking out? Was for me..

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
We have C-Spire (formally Cellular South) down here. 4 phones with unlimited everything $65 each $280 a month. And trust me I feel it each month. Don't have to tell me about expensive.

I remember when CSpire was the cheapest around. We had 2 smart phones unlimited everything was less than $140. I did switch to Verizon though last year for better coverage. Two smart phones and 1 regular phone runs $197 with taxes. Quite ridiculous, but it is what it is...

I've always liked Sprint for their unlimited deal, but haven't looked at them in awhile.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Virgin Mobile. $45/month for unlimited everything.

Hmmmm, have to check that out.

If you like Verizon service Id stick with it, its a gamble changing for better or worse.

You know walmart straight talk uses, versizon , att, and sprint.

$45 plus $4.00 tax, and that includes all the fees , that's not included with the direct name providers.

you could probably keep your same phones and just get a sim card.

Or see if Verizon will offer a deal for you to stay.

But you can get straight talk for as low as $30 for 1500 minutes and 100 mg data, plus 1000 texts. That's normally plenty for normal people.

Last edited:
I just went trugh this recently and settled on Cricket Wireless (GSM, AT&T network):
2 unlimited lines with group discount starting at $70. Including all taxes and fees. Unlike the major carriers, taxes and fees are included in the Cricket quote. This is with 500MB fast data per phone. You pay a bit more for more fast data.

They have rebates for free phones for new customers.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

If anyone interested, being a customer myself, I can give away $25 referral discount for new customers.

I was on verizon a long time with dumb phones, then page plus for 2.5 years with older 3G smartphones. About to switch to Verizon again, their AllSet prepaid plan. $45/mo. Ill avoid contracts at all costs, especially when you can get smartphone plans for so much less if you look around.

Last edited:
If you are not a big user of data and are in an area that has good coverage for Sprint towers, check out Ting.com.

I was paying ATT 70$ a month for a full feature annoying dumbphone, Now my bills rarely exceed 25$, and I have a Samsung S4 Mini that I paid full price for. The Subsidized phones are how they get you.

I've yet to exceed 500 MB of data though.

But no contract. No paper bills, just a notice how much they took from my account, the charges for what I used, and a thank you.

I can get a 50$ credit for referrals, and the refer..ee gets 20$ off

Page Plus uses the verizon market, they are great. Cheap plans.

Verizon has a prepaid plan, my wife uses that. I think we pay 40 for her plan, or 45.

Dumb phones are very cheap on prepaid.

Do you live near an urban area or city? Coverage can quite wild with different providers.

I have tried twice to switch off Verizon onto the third tier ones at great cost savings. I found in my locale coverage was simply poor with the ones I tried. Make sure they have a trial period with full money back.

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
Republic wireless phones use Wifi with cellular as back up. Plans from $5 a month. Full unlimited at $25 a month. Amazing bargain in these times. I have had mine for almost a year. Their phones, Motorola moto-G, start at $149 and no contract. Worth checking out? Was for me..

Big +1 here on Republic wireless. $25 a month gets you unlimited talk, text and web. Radio personality Clark Howard says they are the best cell phone value of 2014. Also, there is no contract. Ive been a customer for 7 months and am very satisfied. Message me if you want further details.

I use Verizon because it works, AT&T seems to be better if you travel outside of the US.

The problem with the cheap carriers is they don't own the towers just rent space...which may or may not be available depending on usage etc.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I use Verizon because it works, AT&T seems to be better if you travel outside of the US.

The problem with the cheap carriers is they don't own the towers just rent space...which may or may not be available depending on usage etc.

Republics chain of use goes like this---wifi----sprint----then other carriers verizon, at&t, ect, not sure of preference after sprint but there is never a roaming cost.

The proof is in the pudding: my wife has verizon. While there coverage is great, in some remote areas another carrier will actually be better(or just available) when verizon isnt. Bottom line is republic has gotten service in very remote areas where even mighty verizon doesnt have coverage.

My wife is switching over soon. Dont allow commercials and mass consumerism to make you feel compelled to overspend on a cellphone. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back