Changing Serpentine Belt on Mazda Tribute

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many miles on the vehicle? If more than 70k or so, you really should consider replacing the tensioner and idler (if applicable).

We have a little over 100,000 miles on the Tribute. I have thought about changing the idler/tensioner pulley also. Should I go with an idler/tensioner assembly or just the idler/tensioner pulley alone?

If you are changing the tensioner get the whole assembly as it's the spring that wears out.

I would not change it out of the blue though. Sometimes the factory ones are better than the parts store ones.

I've had a tensioner go out, and mine "siezed" at its current position, so I got a warning when the belt squealed at low speed power steering events.

I would have gotten a Goodyear Gator belt. I think they are the best. I do not think you need to change the idler or tensioner unless you hear some squeeling. With the belt off see if the tensioner and idler spin freely. Although that is a very crude test because you hand cannot spin it fast unless you are Superman.

Thanks for the advise. Goodyear belts are not available in our area. AutoZone did carry them but have now converted over to Dayco. I've used other Dayco belts and have had no problems. I'll go ahead and but the tensioner and if I don't need it I'll take it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back