Changing Rear Main Seal In Driveway? - 2003 Suburban

I have a trustworthy mechanic that has done work for me in the past who would change rear main seal and oil pan gasket on my 03 Suburban for $1300.00.
I have been watching videos and it looks like a doable project but looks like removing the transmission could be a pain.
Does this seem like a job that could reasonably be accomplished by one person with jacks and stands in a driveway? Looks like parts and centering tool are not expensive, mostly labor

The trans is the heavy, unwieldy part of the job, so is dropping the driveline, and if it’s a 4x4, you have to drop the torsion bars and front driveshaft due to the transfer case and then drop the front suspension/axle. 2WD trucks have a crossmember that’s removable.

A buddy of mine is undertaking a transmission swap on a dirt road with nothing more than a HF trans jack and basic tools. It’s a pain but doable.

I’d pay your guy to do it.

I wouldn't....but that pretty much happened the second I got my 2-post lift.

Kinda like once you have a washer and dryer you don't ever wanna go back to the laundromat

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
For 98% of people, even on this forum, no, not in your driveway.

My late dad's '92 Silverado has the same problem with the rear main seal. Did this become a problem for Chevrolet small-blocks? I'm not touching it myself, and the truck isn't worth even $1,000, so the expense makes no sense. I just keep an eye on the oil level...
Different animals entirely.... '92 you should be able to use a Sneaky Pete, no? So, "just" drop engine oil pan

Skill level is plenty of common sense, good with hands, plenty of tools, but don't do mechanics for a living, but done my fair share. Reasonable...I want to make sure that I will be able to have enough space to lower tranny and move out of the way for access to work on seal areas, and reassemble off my back under the car, don't want to make a huge mess in my driveway during disassembly, and should I anticipate any problems...potentially broken bolts, connectors, etc.. I don't want this to turn into a multi-week project which would cost me money in the end with down-time. In the end, I could save myself a grand doing myself, but if there are known problems with this project, I would probably use some credit to pay my mechanic to do the project.

Just as a side note, this has been a small leak, a couple drops in driveway overnight, but for me, I hate any leaks. Don't know what is happening while running under pressure.

The trans is the heavy, unwieldy part of the job, so is dropping the driveline, and if it’s a 4x4, you have to drop the torsion bars and front driveshaft due to the transfer case and then drop the front suspension/axle. 2WD trucks have a crossmember that’s removable.

A buddy of mine is undertaking a transmission swap on a dirt road with nothing more than a HF trans jack and basic tools. It’s a pain but doable.

I’d pay your guy to do it.

Cant you move the transfer case and transmission back a foot or 2 but leave it under the truck?, so remove the rear driveshaft + front driveshaft and trans/transfer case as 1 piece backwards?

Cant you move the transfer case and transmission back a foot or 2 but leave it under the truck?, so remove the rear driveshaft + front driveshaft and trans/transfer case as 1 piece backwards?
That thought crossed my mind. It is a 2wd.

should be doable if you have something to take the weight of the transmission, and to keep it or put it back to the correct height so it can slip back on.

If he wants to service the oil pan gasket, the front suspension and diff has to be dropped. See this video - it’s a 2WD model but shows the pan getting dropped. The front diff and axle interferes with the oil pan.

I like to be able to come straight at it with a hammer and seal driver. Sucks to get that seal cocked. Thus I like the tx completely out of the way. But that's just me + paranoia

Just as a side note, this has been a small leak, a couple drops in driveway overnight, but for me, I hate any leaks. Don't know what is happening while running under pressure.
Spending $1300 to fix a minor annoyance on a 20 year old truck would be the last thing I would do on it. Keep a drip pan under it when parked at home. I'd keep that amount is savings for when the A/C quits.

My back and neck hurt just thinking about it. I’ve come to the point where I just won’t do some jobs. Dropping a fuel tank in the driveway is another one for me. It’s definitely possible but it’s miserable.

Spending $1300 to fix a minor annoyance on a 20 year old truck would be the last thing I would do on it. Keep a drip pan under it when parked at home. I'd keep that amount is savings for when the A/C quits.

^ Exactly. My 2002 Xterra has a RMS drip, $1000-$1300 to get it fixed when I checked 3 years ago. Can't do it.

Back