Changing Rear Main Seal In Driveway? - 2003 Suburban

I rarely have to roll out Victor unless the vehicle has spent time elsewhere, Guess salty ocean air could be an issue in Florida.
Maybe? I'm in Iowa and usually work on older trucks and most are stuck on pretty good. I've broken a few studs not heating them, so I tend to just go straight to the hot wrench.

Years ago when the front seal on the 454 in my 98 Chevy K3500 started dripping on the carport floor, I changed to a HM oil and it stopped for the most part. Every once and a while it will still drip but not enough to spend the money to change it. I say live with it on something that old.

I did my 2002 Tahoe on my back/jackstands in my garage a few years back. (rear main seal, not the oil pan) The trans is quite heavy.. I did take it down with a regular floor jack and some extra hands.... The bell housing dowels were stuck, it took some torching. Possibly second most challenging was the exhaust nuts/studs. Broke one with a breaker bar - impact is safer. I used a centering tool for the back plate.

If you do this in your driveway I’d like to remind you to block the wheels good. Many driveway mechanics have been killed when the remove their rear drive shaft.

Back