Changing radiator cap as PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to do PM, you better get the part from the dealer. There is nothing stupider than replacing good old working OEM part with a lower quality aftermarket part. Don't do that!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If you are going to do PM, you better get the part from the dealer. There is nothing stupider than replacing good old working OEM part with a lower quality aftermarket part. Don't do that!

Exactly what I did.

Yeah, only OEM tstats and caps. It is a few bucks more, but the peace of mind is priceless. OEMs have patents, quality checks, and intellectual property that may only apply to their part, even if the same supplier sells them. An issue in the cooling system can cook an engine in minutes. No place to play games here. We aren't talking about an air conditioner knob or door lock switch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What's the risk/consequence of not doing this?

Lack of overheating/overboiling protection. A properly functioning 15psi cap will raise cooling system boiling point to ~267F in case of an overheating situation. On most vehicles that's where the temp gauge peaks so if the temp gauge climbs toward overheating you can shut off the engine to allow it to cool down.

why would a 3, 6, or 9 year old car be at risk of over-heating?

Originally Posted By: 46Harry
I replace the caps on my cars every 5 years. I have a cap tester and I've found that some but not all caps start to go bad around that time. It's my opinion that pressure caps are not expensive, so I replace them

Even new ones do not meet their specs.

That dealer cap is probably made by Stant anyways.

If it passes the hose "squeeze test" I leave it alone, although on our older cars maybe it's not such a bad idea.

I have had one fail that vented coolant OK, but then on cool-down wouldn't let liquid back in, causing issues.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

That dealer cap is probably made by Stant anyways.

OEM made Stant is not the same as buying a Stant from autozone.

Just like Gates hoses. Ford hoses say Gates on them. But go buy a Gates hose from autozone. The AZ Gates hose will be noticeably lighter and thinner.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
What's the risk/consequence of not doing this?

Lack of overheating/overboiling protection. A properly functioning 15psi cap will raise cooling system boiling point to ~267F in case of an overheating situation. On most vehicles that's where the temp gauge peaks so if the temp gauge climbs toward overheating you can shut off the engine to allow it to cool down.

why would a 3, 6, or 9 year old car be at risk of over-heating?

I think what happens is there are spots in the engine that are hot enough to make the coolant boil, if there is not adequate pressure. So I think any vehicle is susceptible to overheating if the cap is not present/non-functional.

I have testers for that kind of stuff, so I do that every so often.

What is worse is when a cap is holding too much pressure, and starts to rupture cooling parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back