Changing PTO fluid on ramps?

How necessary is it for the vehicle to be level to get the proper fill amounts in the PTU? I've seen other people do this with just the vehicle on front ramps. When filling the PTU,they just fill until it runs out of the fill hole.

I would think it's necessary to have the vehicle as level as possible if the PTU relies on a combination fill / level check port.

I know this is the hard part in refilling the transfer case on my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder.

I would think it's necessary to have the vehicle as level as possible if the PTU relies on a combination fill / level check port.

I know this is the hard part in refilling the transfer case on my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder.

Yeah the PTU in the Escape holds about half a quart (1.1 pint). If I have to I'll just get another set of ramps.

For my Pathfinder, I had the front end on ramps and the back end on jack stands.

I was thrilled when my local mechanic only charged me ~$47 to change this oil for me last week.

Good deal 👍

Reactions: JTK
Worst case is you won't drain as much as you'd drain if it were level. If you have to do it that way, measure what you remove and replace with the same amount. That might be tricky depending on where the fill plug is located though.

Depending on when and if the fluid was changed, it may not even be fluid anymore. Owned a 2008 Taurus X and that PTU was grease by the time I got it.
I drilled and tapped in a drain plug, then did a couple of flushes, and finally refilled with 75W-140 meant for a Harley Davidson transmission gear case.
Yes, you need to have the car level if not tail end higher to allow the maximum amount of fluid. If you can get at it, I filled the unit for the flushes by pulling the vent cap on top and filled from there.

Just changed my transfer case fluid at 50k for the second time and found it little weird. It’s a 2017 Qx60. Is this normal?

Attachments

• F612B137-E5E0-4F74-BC4F-6B91848624A0.jpg
    F612B137-E5E0-4F74-BC4F-6B91848624A0.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 1ED6CFCD-96B0-4181-B3C7-03DBC54589F9.jpg
    1ED6CFCD-96B0-4181-B3C7-03DBC54589F9.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: JTK
The effect of using one set of ramps vs two is dependent upon vehicle geometry. What is the distance tween the front and real axle or tire center? What is the distance between the front axle and the PTO drain? How high is the ramp? Is the drain in the center or offset? The slope with one set of ramps is just a few degrees. Do you really feel that effects it enough? How safe is your system for levelling? These all should go into the decision.

Last edited:
Just changed my transfer case fluid at 50k for the second time and found it little weird. It’s a 2017 Qx60. Is this normal?
Yep. The QX60 is the same as my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder. These transfer cases (as Nissan calls them) are tiny and only hold ounces of 80w90 gear oil. The first few drains and fills will look glittery and horrible.

The price on one of these little gearboxes is over $2000 and double that for a shop to R/R one.

Back