Changing Over from Toyota Pink to Toyota Red

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just added an '05 LS430 to my stable. As you can see, I have older vehicles. I've read a lot about the differences between Toyota SLL Pink vs Toyota LL Red. I have no problem with the shorter change interval with the Red. The '05 only has 67K on it and I'm gonna switch over from the Pink to the Red. What procedure would you follow? I know about the engine drain cocks on both sides of the V8 so I can get a really good drain out. Plus, I have 8 gallons of Red on my shelf.

Seems to me that a simple D&F is all! Since your car has the draincocks on the engine, that should be enough, IMHO! Others will have different opinions, of course!

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I just added an '05 LS430 to my stable. As you can see, I have older vehicles. I've read a lot about the differences between Toyota SLL Pink vs Toyota LL Red. I have no problem with the shorter change interval with the Red. The '05 only has 67K on it and I'm gonna switch over from the Pink to the Red. What procedure would you follow? I know about the engine drain cocks on both sides of the V8 so I can get a really good drain out. Plus, I have 8 gallons of Red on my shelf.
awww I need Toyota red, how did you get so much?

I forgot I had a full case on a back shelf in my garage. I then stocked up again.....

Last edited:
Enjoy the Lexi, that's a beast, ex had the very first year LS400, it was like a brand new car at
200k, the car barely aged.

not sure about the LS430 but on my LS400 the driver side block drain cock is in a very tight spot, need a few different extensions, universal and small hand to get at it.

rad is very easy to get at the drain from passenger front just under bumper

on my ls 400 the coolant fill procedure is

with car off
fill from the top of the thermostat housing
after level is at the top start car and fill to the top again,
once level remains full replace cap and torque to spec on t stat housing
and fill coolant reservoir to top adding as necessary until car gets up to temp.

Oops, I wasn't clear in my OP. I know how to change the coolant. I'm just wondering in going from pink to red do I need to just drain and fill with red (50:50) or should I drain and run straight distilled water for an hour or so and then drain and refill with red (50:50)?

Last edited:
Oops, I wasn't clear in my OP. I know how to change the coolant. I'm just wondering in going from pink to red do I need to just drain and fill with red (50:50) or should I drain and run straight distilled water for an hour or so and then drain and refill with red (50:50)?

Well, this would be the proper/anal way of doing it but...

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
You can probably just get away with drain and fill.

...as stated, ^^^

I use Zerex Asian Car coolant in my 04 Camry V6. Costs half of what the Toyota Pink costs. I believe Zerex makes the Toyota Pink. Same change interval as OEM.

Sorry if late, but maybe this is helpful. The pink and Red will play well with each other, no need to do a dH2O flush to get the heater core and journals flushed.

I admire your car. I'm going to get an 01-06 LS430 later this year or next. Too many raving about it being the best Lexus ever to not get one now while plenty of cherry ones are around.

When you get around to addressing the transmission, check in LS430 subforum at clublexus.com. There is helpful info there on how-to; the 04+ have a "sealed" transmission with no dipstick and you will have to pump or gravity feed it.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Sorry if late, but maybe this is helpful. The pink and Red will play well with each other, no need to do a dH2O flush to get the heater core and journals flushed.

I admire your car. I'm going to get an 01-06 LS430 later this year or next. Too many raving about it being the best Lexus ever to not get one now while plenty of cherry ones are around.

When you get around to addressing the transmission, check in LS430 subforum at clublexus.com. There is helpful info there on how-to; the 04+ have a "sealed" transmission with no dipstick and you will have to pump or gravity feed it.

Thanks for the info. My two sites are here and clublexus. Study around and you will probably come to the conclusion to choose between a 2004-2006. Let me know when you start looking and I will show you how to check service history on lexus.com site. Florida is a great place to look due to number and price.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

No, not too late. Thanks for the info. My two "go to" sites are here and clublexus. Study around and you will probably come to the conclusion to choose between a 2004-2006. Let me know when you start looking and I will show you how to check service history on lexus.com site. Florida is a great place to look due to number and price.

Last edited:

Thanks for the info. My two sites are here and clublexus. Study around and you will probably come to the conclusion to choose between a 2004-2006. Let me know when you start looking and I will show you how to check service history on lexus.com site. Florida is a great place to look due to number and price.

Thank you for the offer. I did discover that last year when we bought a ES300/330 gen for her daily driver. We are in the Seattle area and the mild west coast weather makes great pickings between Portland and Seattle. It is great what a lack of UV will do to keep up a car's appearance (but wreck your vitamin D levels and energy.
wink.gif
). I'll go to CA even for a super clean one and drive back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back