changing oil in Ford ranger diffs. what to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

So this is the gear oil I have on hand. Front diff is a Dana 35 and the rear is a 7.5 non lsd. What oil in the picture should I use? It's a daily driven vehicle that does not see any towing and the rare hauling of light weight stuff. It currently has 160k on original oil.

Originally Posted By: classic70
Green stuff in the milk jug looks like a good choice.
that was a good first post. LOL

Originally Posted By: classic70
Green stuff in the milk jug looks like a good choice.

Good one!

Open diffs in the Rat's 8.8 "and D 35 is getting topped off with Coastal 80-90. Save the good stuff for an LSD.

90 in the front, 140 in the rear.

I didn't realize they put 7.5'' rear ends in the 4x4 rangers. It has a more beefy front than rear
shocked.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88

I didn't realize they put 7.5'' rear ends in the 4x4 rangers. It has a more beefy front than rear
shocked.gif

yeah. It's a 98. First year for the ifs. It's odd it has the 7.5 but it does have 4:10 gears and gas tank and transfer case skid plate. You would think this would have gotten an 8.8. Anyway ill throw some 140 in the rear. I'm currently in the process of changing that oil right now.

shocked.gif

Most of the time...
4.0L (including 2WDs) = 8.8
factory chassis cab (intended for an upfitter, not one someone took the bed off) = 8.8
all others = 7.5

Right now my 1994 with an 8.8 and TTB Dana 35 has 80W90 in both diffs. Mostly Sta-Lube and some regular Valvoline. My 2002 has Valvoline synthetic 75W90 in its 7.5. I used synthetic 75W140 in an I4 Ranger with a 7.5 that I used to have, and it was fine. Most Ranger diffs are not picky at all, though I think some later LS 8.8s and Torsen diffs require 75W140.

+1 for the rear.
Front, select 80W90 for its higher KV@40*C, thicker film thickness and shear stability.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

shocked.gif

Most of the time...
4.0L (including 2WDs) = 8.8
factory chassis cab (intended for an upfitter, not one someone took the bed off) = 8.8
all others = 7.5

I've been toying around with the idea of getting a 4 cylinder 5 speed ranger and swapping in an 8.8 from the junkyard. I didn't realize even the 3.0 had the 7.5 rear end.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
They're not picky. In the past I have always used whatever was on sale.

+1 Use the Valvoline. I used to use durablend in my 93 Explorer and it seemed to love it.

I've been toying around with the idea of getting a 4 cylinder 5 speed ranger and swapping in an 8.8 from the junkyard. I didn't realize even the 3.0 had the 7.5 rear end.

Yep. In a stock truck though, the 7.5 is fine. I have towed with mine, spun the tires, etc, and it's doing great at a little over 200K. The only repair has been a pinion seal. I4s and 3.0s can't really tow / haul enough weight to break a 7.5, so unless you put big tires on it or do serious off roading, it should last the life of the truck as long as it has fluid in it.

One thing to keep in mind when shopping for an 8.8 from a Ranger/Explorer is that most have higher ratios such as 3.27 or 3.55, which aren't ideal behind an I4. 3.73 and 4.10 will probably be harder to find.

Therangerstation.com has very comprehensive information on the axles in these trucks and swapping them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back