Changing Oil Brand for My 6.7

For the first time since I bought my 2019 6.7 F250 in December 2019, I am going to switch oil brands. I have used religiously Amsoil's Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 10W-30 and will be switching to Mobil Delvac Extreme Heavy Duty Full Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil 15W-40. The reason is no shops will use Amsoil near me nor will they allow me to provide my own oil. I don't change my own anymore because getting rid of the used oil requires an act of Congress in California, plus at 75 years old I am too **** old to be crawling around under my truck and I have the money to pay so what the hell?

QUESTION: For those with 6.7s and who use Delvac, are you pleased with Delvac's full syn?
My odometer reads around 23k (I bought it at 17k) and I hardly drive it except on long road trips or to tow my trailer up into the mountains for camping. I have probably logged less than 2k since my last change with only one road trip from SoCal to Salt Lake City, but the dash maintenance clock has timed out at 12 months.

Thanks for your input.
Michael

I don't have a psd but even the basic syn blend delvac 1300 is plenty good so delvac extreme is gonna be solid, have no worries. I know a place that does changes with it and delo sde which are the cheap options. A friend of mine has had a 2014 psd since new and uses whatever cheap 15w-40 he can get and goes by the olm and has had no issues. I too use 15w-40 in my gas trucks.

Haven’t run it in a PSD but in the Cummins I had it was great. Engine sounded a lot smoother and quieter.

People run Delvac oils in their semis with engines that cost as much as your whole vehicle. If the oil is on your recommended oil list run it.. You really don't need a syn oil but why not !

Haven’t run it in a PSD but in the Cummins I had it was great. Engine sounded a lot smoother and quieter.
If a Cummins isn't a good test, I don't know what is! Thanks for your quick answer, Joe.
I too use 15w-40 in my gas trucks.
Thanks, Javi. I had to wait for 20 yrs to get the diesel I have long wanted. Before that, I had a V10 in my 2003 Superduty, which was a compromise. My truck was a Texas rental owned by Enterprise. It still looked and smelled brand new. How it ended up in SoCal I will never know.

I forgot to ask what oil are you running in the trans and differentials? It is really nice to have the money in my opinion !!!

I forgot to ask what oil are you running in the trans and differentials? It is really nice to have the money in my opinion !!!
Whatever the Ford dealer serviced it with when it came to their lot from Enterprise Car Rentals. I usually will change out to all syn differential oil, but have not yet since it has two (4X4). As for the 6R140 I have no idea what is in it. Probably factory juice. The truck has a 7-years warranty on it.

Verify your choice has the added Phos that Ford says is the minimum for the 6.7
The only approved Mobil oil on my owners manual oil list is Mobil HDEO Whatever that is. I think it’s dino oil and not syn. But, I hasten to add that Amsoil isn’t on that list either. I prefer a full syn because when I go north I pass through several hundred miles of blistering desert heat in Nevada. Maybe I’m over killing this or have fallen prey to the advertisement hyperbole, but my experience has been good with Amsoil and Mobile 1 in my gassers. I paid twice what I paid for my V10 super duty so I want to be careful. But, I do appreciate your advice and will look into the Pho content. Good point!!

This is what I use in my 6.7 .

UPDATE: I already had 16 qts of Amsoil Max-Duty Synthetic on hand, so I went to an independently-owned shop that had changed my oil twice before. It will be my last time going there; not because they are a bad shop but because I hate the drive through the myriad of traffic lights even though it's only 8 miles away and I still had to pay $413! I had only 1,800 miles on the oil but they recommended a fuel filter kit ($110), intake air filter ($102), and the oil filter at $50!!, all Wix filters. I checked all these out at retail stores and Amazon and with the exception of the air filter, they charged at least double the retail! Remember, I supplied the 13 qts needed. NEVER AGAIN!

By the way, they recommended a fuel filter kit change on every oil change. When I reminded them the oil had only 1,800 miles on it he said "Maybe we should wait and just reset your truck's maintenance clock." I said "Too late he has already dropped the oil and is installing the filters!" Funny, I was there twice before for oil changes, and no one ever offered to change out the fuel filters nor did they mention it needed to be done at every oil change. I got played and it will never happen again!

UPDATE: I already had 16 qts of Amsoil Max-Duty Synthetic on hand, so I went to an independently-owned shop that had changed my oil twice before. It will be my last time going there; not because they are a bad shop but because I hate the drive through the myriad of traffic lights even though it's only 8 miles away and I still had to pay $413! I had only 1,800 miles on the oil but they recommended a fuel filter kit ($110), intake air filter ($102), and the oil filter at $50!!, all Wix filters. I checked all these out at retail stores and Amazon and with the exception of the air filter, they charged at least double the retail! Remember, I supplied the 13 qts needed. NEVER AGAIN!

By the way, they recommended a fuel filter kit change on every oil change. When I reminded them the oil had only 1,800 miles on it he said "Maybe we should wait and just reset your truck's maintenance clock." I said "Too late he has already dropped the oil and is installing the filters!" Funny, I was there twice before for oil changes, and no one ever offered to change out the fuel filters nor did they mention it needed to be done at every oil change. I got played and it will never happen again!
My Ford dealer (has Quick Lane) lets you bring your own oil and filter, why doesn't yours?

You can look at my recent UOAs in this forum for my Ford 6.0 with over 240K miles. The Delvac Extreme 15W-40 gave incredible UOAs for me, Iron never above 7ppm for me. The add pack is awesome as well. I also noticed it made Ford's approved list recently. I feel this is the best 15W-40 on the market. Walmart sells it in 1 gal and 2.5 gal containers, can't beat that.

I have a 6.7 on order and I plan to use 5w-40 due to the tighter bearing clearances. The specs for the Phillips Guardol XT/Kendall SHP (exact same oil, zero differences, just a different container) are impressive, same oil as Motorcraft 5w-40 but can be had cheaper. Flash point over 460* F and cold flow is almost 10* lower than Valvoline Extreme 5w-40. Phillips evidently uses top-notch base stock.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with running MC 10w30 or T5 10w30 Rotella in these Ford 6.7's. They are both inexpensive and do the job just fine. Unless your towing heavy all the time I would stick with 10w30 but that's just me.

Nothing wrong with running MC 10w30 or T5 10w30 Rotella in these Ford 6.7's. They are both inexpensive and do the job just fine. Unless your towing heavy all the time I would stick with 10w30 but that's just me.
Agreed. But the primary reason Ford selected 10W-30 for this engine was environmental reasons at a large scale. Also 10W-30 is a dated design that serves little purpose anymore, just like 10W-40 that some old timers just can't let go of. There are much more modern designed oils that will protect better in a wider range.

For the first time since I bought my 2019 6.7 F250 in December 2019, I am going to switch oil brands. I have used religiously Amsoil's Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 10W-30 and will be switching to Mobil Delvac Extreme Heavy Duty Full Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil 15W-40. The reason is no shops will use Amsoil near me nor will they allow me to provide my own oil. I don't change my own anymore because getting rid of the used oil requires an act of Congress in California, plus at 75 years old I am too **** old to be crawling around under my truck and I have the money to pay so what the hell?

QUESTION: For those with 6.7s and who use Delvac, are you pleased with Delvac's full syn?
My odometer reads around 23k (I bought it at 17k) and I hardly drive it except on long road trips or to tow my trailer up into the mountains for camping. I have probably logged less than 2k since my last change with only one road trip from SoCal to Salt Lake City, but the dash maintenance clock has timed out at 12 months.

Thanks for your input.
Michael
I've always taken my Amsoil to every dealer I've ever gone to in 30 years and have never been refused my oil. Last week on my wife's Lexus I brought in my own oil, my daughter's VW I brought in my own oil, at Ford dealership my 6.7 2019 Lariat I brought in my own oil. When I use to go to the quick lube shops it was the same thing, I brought in my own oil and never a word was said. In fact, when the dealer has a sale on oil changes back years ago they charged $29.00 for an oil change I would bring my own oil and filters they deducted that from their price in the $29.00 and I think they charged me $18.00 for an oil change on my Diesel Excursion.

With so little miles/hrs the boutique oils are a waste of money (it can be argued they are, anyhow)

I have been using Delvac Extreme 15w40 in my truck and 10w30 in my tractor and small engines for a long time. Generally you can take advantage of Mobil's excellent rebates but they did not offer any at the end of the year like they have in the past.

Back