Changing filter half way through

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am gonna do an extended OCI for my Hyundai Veracruz. Hyundai recommends a 7k OCI. Im not too terribly comfortable going 7k. Call me old school. But, will there be any benefit to changing out the oil filter and topping off about half-way through the OCI? Say at around 3.5k? I'm using PP 5w-30. Or am I wasting money and resources.

Wasting your money. I go 10,000 miles on M1 oil and filter with no problems.
Pure One is agood filter choice as well.

Last edited:
Don't do it.

As others have said, better to do the opposite and change out the oil before the filter.

Run the whole set up for the 7,000 miles then start fresh again. If you feel uncomfortable do a UOA and see how things are working out for you.

Originally Posted By: RamAir5
Or am I wasting money and resources.

IMO, it'll be a total waste of time and money, but if it makes you sleep better at night... well, that in itself is priceless. We all have our obsessions.
55.gif

I'm like the OP but I'm getting better.

Like most have said I would lean toward changing the oil first before the filter if I had to pick one.

If it makes you feel better, do like I do. Run a quality synthetic and a top of the line filter (RP, Amsoil EAO, M1) and go by the factory OLM. Since the OLM is calibrated for dino and a [censored] filter, you're more than safe with a good synthetic and quality filter.

I have to admit that I get nervous around the 4,500 mile mark and it occasionally gets changed early. After learning what I know about filters, I will actually go 2 intervals on the same filter when I was running the Amsoil filters and plan on doing the same with the RP.

Originally Posted By: RamAir5
I am gonna do an extended OCI for my Hyundai Veracruz. Hyundai recommends a 7k OCI. Im not too terribly comfortable going 7k. Call me old school. But, will there be any benefit to changing out the oil filter and topping off about half-way through the OCI? Say at around 3.5k? I'm using PP 5w-30. Or am I wasting money and resources.

It all depends on how fast you accumulate the 7k ..or rather how the 7k is accumulated ..which usually equates to a time span. The more compressed the time span, the less loading can be realized by the filter. 7k over 1 year. 7k over 2 months. Which filter will experience more moisture and combustion byproducts due to fuel enrichment events? Naturally this would be different than a car that sat most of the time except for longer excursions.

At some point of usage, you eliminate the fatigue factor on the filter to where it outlives the oil by a good bit. You can use a 5k oil ..yet still have a 15-20k filter.

My son does 10 to 12,000 mile OCIs on his Ranger V6. 330,000 miles On M1 10-30. No in between filter changes.

I too am a like the opN I actually had a hard time going 75oo on the (tdt) and that M1 filter, I see a few posters have said dump the oil but keep the filter - I can not cut one open as of yet, but seriously - is there that little [censored] left behind in a typical synth. run (in the filter) to safely use it a 2nd time around - even during severe service with stop & go, jack rabbit starts, etc. ?? Wow, BITOG rules.

-A

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARMY_Guy
I too am a like the opN I actually had a hard time going 75oo on the (tdt) and that M1 filter, I see a few posters have said dump the oil but keep the filter - I can not cut one open as of yet, but seriously - is there that little [censored] left behind in a typical synth. run (in the filter) to safely use it a 2nd time around - even during severe service with stop & go, jack rabbit starts, etc. ?? Wow, BITOG rules.

-A

Yes. The only reason I change mine every other interval instead of every third or fourth is my (unfounded) worry of something in the filter coming apart after so many miles. Unless the engine is hurt, loading is the least of your worries.

Quote:
run (in the filter) to safely use it a 2nd time around - even during severe service with stop & go, jack rabbit starts, etc. ??

Try figuring your fuel economy. That will figure how much virtual mileage you're doing. If you can get 18mpg out of your jeep ..and you're averaging 12, then you're probably doing 1.3X the mileage you're reading on the odometer in terms of real "usage". That's why a taxi isn't really getting a 3k OCI when it's also not getting 23mpg.

You guys who run the filter more than one OCI, take the filter off and drain it? Then re-use it?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You guys who run the filter more than one OCI, take the filter off and drain it?

Not sure that would do any good. As it is, the oil constantly flows through it. What's there to drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back