Changing filter half way through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
You guys who run the filter more than one OCI, take the filter off and drain it?

Not sure that would do any good. As it is, the oil constantly flows through it. What's there to drain?

Yes the old oil in the filter, do you guys remove it and drain it out?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You guys who run the filter more than one OCI, take the filter off and drain it?

Not sure that would do any good. As it is, the oil constantly flows through it. What's there to drain?

Yes the old oil in the filter, do you guys remove it and drain it out?
\

No, because it eliminates one dry start. This is also why I change my oil just a little sooner than I have to. It took a lot of getting used to but after the change, the color looks pretty much like what came out of the jug of new oil.

Thanks for clearing that up. I would have thought to drain the oil out of the old filter then prefill it with clean oil and screw it back on for another OCI. At least this way more of the residual oil is out, and the dry start is cut down since the filter is pre-filled?

I read about guys leaving the drain plug out overnight, or pouring a qt of clean oil down the fill hole to flush out any remaining dirty oil. I thought those guys would want to get that 1/2 qt or more of the dirty oil out of the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back