changing engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SirTanon
If the dealership will do it for $50, I would absolutely tell her to go there. That $50 price should include everything, including some kind of guarantee.

Just be sure to check the level after. I just bought an impala that was dealer service and they overfilled it by a half quart. But yes the dealer would be my first choice over quick lube or Walmart. Unless the dealer has a quick lube type place.

Originally Posted by CT8
Does the independent shop do anything else other than the oil change for the $75.00?

One would hope for that price. My daughter took her Volvo to the dealer one time, and only one time which was the last. They charged her $189 for a synthetic oil change and that was after 10% off. Granted the car takes 8 quarts but still. Luckily she called me and I stopped the $69 air filter install that I had just done a few months prior. To top it off they used 10-30 which Volvo deviated away from for her build year so I made them change it for free and they weren't happy.

Get the sister to watch for home mechanics in her neighborhood... you know, the guys with hoods open and working on something mechanical. Even better would be a motorcycle rider, almost all of whom know a thing or two about wrenches. I bet someone like this, if they are the helpful sort, could spend 20 minutes changing her oil and would cost her $30 at most for full synthetic oil and filter. And she might make a friend. And going 13,000 miles between services it probably would not be very often, but this is just a guess... maybe she drives a ton of miles.

2017 Ford Escape SE 2.5
OE Filter
Valvoline 5w20 Maxlife HM Full synthetic at VOIC

2019 Hyundai Sonata Limited
OE Filter
Service Pro 5w20 Full synthetic at dealership

2018 Fiat 500 X pop AWP
OE Filter
Castrol 5w20 Magnatec Full synthetic at dealership
39.gif

So, my sister visited VOIC, Pepboys and Walmart. VIOC and Pepboys quoted $90.00 for oil and filter change with coupons.

Walmart was a straight $50.00. plus, the Walmart near her house did not agree to do the $9.99 oil change.

How are Pepboys and VIOC oil change after coupons coming to $90.00?

Originally Posted by devarshi84
So, my sister visited VOIC, Pepboys and Walmart. VIOC and Pepboys quoted $90.00 for oil and filter change with coupons.

Walmart was a straight $50.00. plus, the Walmart near her house did not agree to do the $9.99 oil change.

How are Pepboys and VIOC oil change after coupons coming to $90.00?

When they see the woman customer they want to sell chrome muffler bearings too.

Update: Got her to go to a Lincoln QUickLane dealer for 6qt of semi-synth. They have a 'The Works' Coupon which works out to $55/- all inclusive with motorcraft oil and filter.

I dont know about that but My sister is surely going to get her oil changes done there now. The 3.5 V6 engine is pretty good on oil so she should be fine with a semi-synth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back