changing engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am not from the US so please explain how this works.

My sisters' 08 Lincoln MKZ needs an Oil change at 130000 miles. Her oil changes till date have been through a local friendly mechanic which costs about $75. I was looking online for oil change prices and places to save some money without compromising quality.

1. Lincoln dealership offers a $50.00 pack which includes 6 quarts of semi-synth motorcraft oil. The car needs 6 quarts.
2. All chain workshops like VIOC, Firestone, Pepboys and Walmart offer 5qt packages with extra charges for anything over 5qts.
3. Mobil1 is cheapest on walmart while pennzoil is cheapest on pepboys (after MIL). But pennzoil and mobil1 also run cashback offers on their website where walmart and Pepboys are not mentioned.

Plus, there are a host of other fees associated at chain workshops. Dealerships coupons do not mention these.

Can I purchase Pennzoil synth 5w-20 6qt from Pepboys with $15 MIL, claim $10 from their website and get oil changed at Walmart for $9.99? She can get it done in New york where they mentioned that the extra charges wont be applicable.

Last edited:
You could also try to do it yourself, lots of youtubes videos on every vehicles that exists. I find it rewarding and relaxing to do it.

I looked a bit on line and found this.

No skid plate or anything to remove, plug and filter easily accessed, seems easy enough.

If you don't want to do it yourself, I'd suggest the dealer as , personally, do not trust the quick lube places (especially walmart).

To the OP. Try doing what you said in your post's last paragraph and tell us how it works out.

Happy Gandhi's Birthday!

If you don't do oil changes yourself I'd go with billt460's suggestion and use the dealership. Remember, offers from dealerships are frequently promotional and will, at some point, be withdrawn.

Originally Posted by devarshi84
Hi,

I am not from the US so please explain how this works.

My sisters' 08 Lincoln MKZ needs an Oil change at 130000 miles. Her oil changes till date have been through a local friendly mechanic which costs about $75. I was looking online for oil change prices and places to save some money without compromising quality.

1. Lincoln dealership offers a $50.00 pack which includes 6 quarts of semi-synth motorcraft oil. The car needs 6 quarts.
2. All chain workshops like VIOC, Firestone, Pepboys and Walmart offer 5qt packages with extra charges for anything over 5qts.
3. Mobil1 is cheapest on walmart while pennzoil is cheapest on pepboys (after MIL). But pennzoil and mobil1 also run cashback offers on their website where walmart and Pepboys are not mentioned.

Plus, there are a host of other fees associated at chain workshops. Dealerships coupons do not mention these.

Can I purchase Pennzoil synth 5w-20 6qt from Pepboys with $15 MIL, claim $10 from their website and get oil changed at Walmart for $9.99? She can get it done in New york where they mentioned that the extra charges wont be applicable.

For $19.99 you get Walmart Pit Crew which is QS advanced durability. Plus $4 for an extra quart.

Unless you are doing extended drains i see no reason to chase all those other options.

I do my own oil changes, however my sister cannot do an oil change herself.

1. The works package does include 6qts of oil as is required but is semi-synth in comparison. Do they have additional charges for used oil disposal and such?

https://owner.ford.com/service/service-event/the-works.html

@Kira: thank you for the wishes. Do you know if Mobil1 or Pennzoil accept invoices from Walmart or Pepboys?

I think the Ford/Lincoln dealership would be the way to go. The oil disposal/recycling costs are included in their The Works package.

"For $19.99 you get Walmart Pit Crew which is QS advanced durability. Plus $4 for an extra quart.
Unless you are doing extended drains i see no reason to chase all those other options."

Walmart techs aren't the sharpest, but guess what, neither are the ones they assign to oil changes at the dealer. I've found Wallyworld to be less pushy about unneeded added services too. I have a packet of $10 Valvoline oil change post cards from a tire store, but the new mailings are higher. When they run out, I have no problem with the twenty buck Walmart deal.

Not really a problem, but the two biggest "wha"s???" I've seen are that they pull the dipstick on a hot engine and record that it's low on oil when the oil hasn't drained back, and that they're meticulous about using the listed capacity and sometimes overfill a bit on the dipstick since they use a smaller filter than OEM, not enough to make a difference, though.

At least in my market, Walmart's hi mileage oil change option for the low thirties is ST high mileage synthetic. Used that option too. Didn't know they'd do any separately purchased oil for $10 up charge. That's good to know.

Originally Posted by devarshi84

@Kira: thank you for the wishes. Do you know if Mobil1 or Pennzoil accept invoices from Walmart or Pepboys?

They accepted my Walmart.com invoice no problem. There's a thread in the "Rebates" sub forum on this. Many have had similar experience.

Last edited:
I can count on one hand how many times I let someone else change my oil in the last 25 yrs. I just can't trust someone to let it fully drain, stripping the plug and tightening the filter to 100psi. Even paying for overpriced oil and filters at advance or autozone is still cheaper and a job done right versus the pit crews out there.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I can count on one hand how many times I let someone else change my oil in the last 25 yrs. I just can't trust someone to let it fully drain, stripping the plug and tightening the filter to 100psi. Even paying for overpriced oil and filters at advance or autozone is still cheaper and a job done right versus the pit crews out there.

There's def' some sloppy, inconsistent work out there but there are winners to be sure. But my friend who I've known since HS, some +30yrs ago, got his start as a lube guy and now is a GM Master Tech and has like certs in multiple areas (IIRC they call that MoE).

I'm not saying all qwikie lube guy's are master techs, just saying there are some diamonds in the rough. If you find one...use him....

Originally Posted by D1dad

That's why I was suggesting DIY, I'm too OCD to let someone else do it, I even use the torque wrench for the drain plug!

Last edited:
Guys, chill out, read the posts carefully.

The OP is in India and from what I gather, the sister is in New York (US).
So, OP cannot do the oil change from India for obvious reason.
The sister cannot DIY.

Correct me, if I am wrong?
But those who suggest DIY, it is out of the question unless you can come and teach her how.
Besides, she may not want to learn to DIY.

As for my suggestion to OP:
If she is comfortable with the one that she goes to already and paying $75 for oil change.
They have been doing a good job on it.
Just keep doing it like that. Why change if it works.
I know $25 is a lot of money but it is also not worth the worry of paying some extra charges.
There is also a big chance that the stealership will "scare" upsell her on stuff the car does not need.
A $50 charge will become $1000 very fast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JMJNet
Guys, chill out, read the posts carefully.

The OP is in India and from what I gather, the sister is in New York (US).
So, OP cannot do the oil change from India for obvious reason.
The sister cannot DIY.

Correct me, if I am wrong?
But those who suggest DIY, it is out of the question unless you can come and teach her how.
Besides, she may not want to learn to DIY.

As for my suggestion to OP:
If she is comfortable with the one that she goes to already and paying $75 for oil change.
They have been doing a good job on it.
Just keep doing it like that. Why change if it works.
I know $25 is a lot of money but it is also not worth the worry of paying some extra charges.
There is also a big chance that the stealership will "scare" upsell her on stuff the car does not need.
A $50 charge will become $1000 very fast.

How did you figure out the sister was in New York?

The confidence factor in the shop doing the changes if the key.

How did you figure out the sister was in New York?

Last paragraph said "She can get it done in New York"????
You did not see it????

Or may be OP said New Delhi? or New Caledonia? or New Braunfels?

Originally Posted by jbutch
If you don't want to do it yourself, I'd suggest the dealer as , personally, do not trust the quick lube places (especially walmart).

Not necessarily. I've seen just as many "Bad Dealer Oil Change" threads here on BITOG as "Bad Quickie Lube" threads (including Walmart), if not more.

Does the independent shop do anything else other than the oil change for the $75.00?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back