Changing Break In Oil vs. Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by chefwong:

Should't the filter be able to catch most of the major metal bits .

Some of the swarf ect cannot pass through the pick-up screen and must be drained .

I have analysis's posted here of young engines that looked great ..... with chunks of various types of debris in the bottom of the drain pan .
smile.gif

I change my oil at 50,500 and 1000 initialy. I change the oil but leave the oem filter in place until the 1000 mile mark. After that I do a 3000 mile oci. Then it is 6 months of 7500 miles wich ever comes first. From the 1000 mile mark on if I am going to change the oil I am going to change the filter as well!

For the most part, on a new car, alot seem to agree that manuf. tolerances are alot better these days. With that in mind, is it crazy to change the oil on a new car at 500 miles, 1.5 miles, 3K miles and then regular 6-7K mile OCI ?

Should't the filter be able to catch most of the major metal bits .

decisions, decisions. Even at those inital short change intervals are ya'll using synthetic or any high quality dino like Penzoil at $2.40 at qt ?

Factory fill on the new car would be synthetic.

-

Example of early change wear metals, vs the same make/model car thats been driven for 20-30k. Aka the wear metals is roughly equivilant to multiple oil changes later in the cars life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back