Changing Brands of Oil in my V.W. Tiguan

Why is it that US and Japanese automakers seem to run 0w20 and thinner with no issue but apparently Euro can’t?
I personally don’t believe VW wouldn’t have specified 508.00 if it was going to cause damage. This oil is also used overseas so I guess that puts a hole in the CAFE argument.
No one said the oil in and of itself will cause damage. It will, using Honda’s word, provide adequate wear protection (have an adequate HT/HS). But no one should be so ignorant to think that it isn’t driven and caused by the desire for fuel economy, not ideal protection. Nobody can argue that a somewhat higher HT/HS is not desirable from that standpoint. If your ultimate and only goal is fuel economy then use it.

Why is it that US and Japanese automakers seem to run 0w20 and thinner with no issue but apparently Euro can’t?
I personally don’t believe VW wouldn’t have specified 508.00 if it was going to cause damage. This oil is also used overseas so I guess that puts a hole in the CAFE argument.
Already did numerous topics on this. Why US and Japanese manufacturers run thick oils in Europe?
Everything comes down to CAFE in US , and different ways EU measures emissions (CO2 gr/100km).
European manufacturers run 0W20 in the US, I personally would never run it if you paid me. I do not run in it my Toyota, thought it says 0W20.

Already did numerous topics on this. Why US and Japanese manufacturers run thick oils in Europe?
Everything comes down to CAFE in US , and different ways EU measures emissions (CO2 gr/100km).
European manufacturers run 0W20 in the US, I personally would never run it if you paid me. I do not run in it my Toyota, thought it says 0W20.
I am saying Europe also uses 508.00. It isn't just the US. Also, Toyota / Honda / Ford have been using Xw20 for 20 years. They are doing just fine.

Car runs terrible on 5W40. Two grades higher in KV100 and HTHS is too much of a hurdle.
My VW Dealer put that in and it almost killed it. Even the cat started stinking due to sluggish running.
I bet it would do well on 5W30 Dexos1 Gen 2. Why would it not?
I unless the the engine is made made of garbage materials ....
I agree on the 5w30 d1g2 but would stick with full synthetic. I've never understood why VWs are so picky about oil unless you're running those super long (European spec'd) OCIs. PS: What are your thoughts on the Ford Ecosport Arco? I assume it's the 1.0 3 cylinder (not 2.0 as listed in your signature)?

I am saying Europe also uses 508.00. It isn't just the US. Also, Toyota / Honda / Ford have been using Xw20 for 20 years. They are doing just fine.
Yes, they have options now in EU for 0W20, but European manufacturers recommend heavy oils. Some cars get lighter.
Toyota and Honda are specific as already being said that 0W20 is acceptable grade. For anything more theya re also specific to bump your grade. Toyota for its 2GR-FE and 2GR-FKS engines in Europe is very specific to be used with ACEA C3 oils, while they recommend 0W20 in the US.
Ford? I am not sure they are doing fine.

I agree on the 5w30 d1g2 but would stick with full synthetic. I've never understood why VWs are so picky about oil unless you're running those super long (European spec'd) OCIs. PS: What are your thoughts on the Ford Ecosport Arco? I assume it's the 1.0 3 cylinder (not 2.0 as listed in your signature)?
D1G2 is nothing special. Any VW specification is much more stringent. It is not all about OCI, there are other far more important variables.

I understand what you trying to say, but US issue with high sulfur gas has nothing to do with intent of ACEA C3 oils. In 2004 they were introduced for vehicles with DPF, but in 2009 EU moved to ULSG, which allowed manufacturers to switch from A3 to C3.
My point is, that that engine you had is actually designed from beginning for heavy oils (as all Euro engines are, even today). So, if that particular engine in your car had issue with heavy oils, issue was somewhere else, not with oil. If catalytic converter behaved differently, why? What happened? Oil was made out of ZDDP alone so it clogged immediately? IMO, nothing to do with oil, but engine was lemon. Light oil was just hiding real issues more successfully.
Ran fine until they changed the oil. I think the whole tune has to work synergistically, change one facet and it doesn't work.
This EA211 1.4 was a clean sheet design with a new dry timing system, dual loop cooling, and many other changes, I would guess it was designed with this very light oil in mind.

EA211.jpg

The Euros are relatively new to the 0w20 game but BMW and Mercedes seem to have it down. The BMW B48 has been in service since 2014 and does not have any oil related issues.

D1G2 is nothing special. Any VW specification is much more stringent. It is not all about OCI, there are other far more important variables.
I get it that VW specs are more stringent than d1g2 but I question why they are needed if you're changing your oil every 5 to 7k. All the Japanese, Korean and domestic makes seem to live long lives on these oils....even high HP per liter engines like Honda's Civic SI, Hyundia's 1.6T, Ford's Focus ST etc...still call for regular off the shelf synthetics.

I get it that VW specs are more stringent than d1g2 but I question why they are needed if you're changing your oil every 5 to 7k. All the Japanese, Korean and domestic makes seem to live long lives on these oils....even high HP per liter engines like Honda's Civic SI, Hyundia's 1.6T, Ford's Focus ST etc...still call for regular off the shelf synthetics.
VW specs. have most stringent wear requirement. Hyundai's have huge LSPI issues, as wella s GM etc. Focus ST had major issues with engines, and they are wandering forever between grades trying to maximize MPG, but finding that that also has issues when you catch DI train too late and you do not learn from someone else's mistakes (VW). Honda is special case. Have you seen their UOA? Are you OK with 3-4% of fuel dilution and 0W20 oils? Question is what is expected profile of drivers they are selling cars to it?

Ran fine until they changed the oil. I think the whole tune has to work synergistically, change one facet and it doesn't work.
This EA211 1.4 was a clean sheet design with a new dry timing system, dual loop cooling, and many other changes, I would guess it was designed with this very light oil in mind.

View attachment 41387
EA211 was never designed around light oil. Something else happened there. Engines don't crash bcs. you put heavier oil.

EA211 was never designed around light oil. Something else happened there. Engines don't crash bcs. you put heavier oil.
Sorry, but my in situ experience with multiple cars says otherwise.

And going up from a very low HTHS lube to a high HTHS lube is not a small step for any engine.

O.K. Guys, Eddie says 20W50 in your Honda Civic is Okay!

Dump that 0W20 !

Back