Changing between winter and summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people like to use a synthetic oil like Mobil 1 in the wintertime, and conventional motor oil the rest of the year. The synthetic oil will flow better in extreme cold.

But people have also talked about additive clash when motor oils are mixed. Is there a problem with additive clash when people change from conventional motor oil to a synthetic oil in the wintertime, and then back again?

I do the same thing. I feel there is no benifit of synthetic in summer(0f-100f)except the extended drains. I am planning on switching from Chevron to Mobil dino right now. Mobil has better ccs and a lower pour point. This way when and if i choose, i can put in Mobil 1 without too many aditive clashes (if there are any) If i were to go with Chevron Dino in summer, i would use the Chevron synthetic in winter.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Additive clash is a bunch of baloney, don't worry about it . Why not run M1 all year it's a good oil.

Additive clash is real, however it's mainly a factor in trying to extend your drain intervals. For instance, going from one radically different oil to another it's not a good idea to jump right into 15k intervals, as the first run will show a quicker drop in TBN and faster oxidation if there is any kind of additive clash.

But if you switch to another oil and don't go too far on the interval, you'll be fine.

Mystic,

I also do not consider additive clash to be a problem...besides you can stay with the same oil, e.g. M1, and have multiple formula changes, including different additive packages. While this is not a standard occurance as far as I know, there are no guarantees. I would stick with syn year 'round. Just remember, if you are using an A3 rated oil, even a Zeedub (0W), one of the requirements is that it can be used year round, and in Europe, along the Med, it can get awfully hot. Since your engine is probably getting fully warm on most of your drives during the summer, you can easily get a 4-5K interval out of a syn (and longer with the top end synthetics).

Patman, how many oils go the mileage? some do most don't due to dirt and or blow by products. The oils are made to be compatible, mixing a high quality oil with a low quality will of course lower the quality but there are only so many additive companies and in real life it is the lowest bidder that gets the contract. Ever notice how sometimes the voa's change? can't always be the lab .

[ August 01, 2003, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

If you change oil by season then it appears the mileage is not a factor in the timing for the most part. I would think most people go by mileage and in my case several cars will overlap the March-August time frame with not enough mileage on the oil to change. My average time interval is now about 9 months (7500-12,000 miles) with two just being once a year. The hassle of changing back and forth dino vs synthetic is part of the reason I went to synthetics in the first place, to reduce the hassle even though I love to crawl under the cars.
Also, not only do synthetics flow better in colder months but they protect better in extreme heat as well. I guess I don't understand the dino in the summer reasoning.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
If you change oil by season then it appears the mileage is not a factor in the timing for the most part. I would think most people go by mileage and in my case several cars will overlap the March-August time frame with not enough mileage on the oil to change. My average time interval is now about 9 months (7500-12,000 miles) with two just being once a year. The hassle of changing back and forth dino vs synthetic is part of the reason I went to synthetics in the first place, to reduce the hassle even though I love to crawl under the cars.
Also, not only do synthetics flow better in colder months but they protect better in extreme heat as well. I guess I don't understand the dino in the summer reasoning.

I'm with Spector here. At the very least you are probably over or underchanging oil by going by season. The other thing to consider is that changing back and forth could dause the seals to leak due to different swell of the two different oils. I am not saying it will happen. But I wouldn't rule it out either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back