Changing ATF 2014 Nissan Ultima

Lady asked me about changing ATF in ‘14 Altima with 103k that has never had it changed before. She said it has started to rev up higher before it shifts. She thought that it shifted hard into 3rd gear.

Her mechanic would not change it. He told her to go and have it flushed at a transmission shop.

She and her husband just bought a 2023 Altima and in driving it she started noticing how differently they both shifted.

I know not to pressure flush a transmission. I also am afraid to suggest she do a drain and fill. She thought the owners manual said to change ATF at 100k?????

Is the CVT done? What would you suggest? How often would you tell her to change the ATF in her new 2023 Altima?

I don't think fresh ATF will solve a shift-flaring problem. It won't make it worse though.... so no harm trying but need to warn them about this. Her mechanic is thinking the same thing, I suspect and the suggestion about going to a transmission shop is concerning if he's their trusted mechanic 'cause he knows perfectly well they'll recommend a major repair or replacement.

Scan it for codes in case there's any solenoid or pressure switch codes. It should trigger the check-engine list if there are though.

This car will use CVT fluid, not ATF, although Castrol does make a universal ATF/CVT fluid..

It's possible this CVT is toast. Usually once performance problems present themselves on them, a fluid change won't help.

These are designed for drains/fills and those can be done easily given the drain plug on the pan and the charge tube up top (looks like a dipstick tube).

This car will use CVT fluid, not ATF, although Castrol does make a universal ATF/CVT fluid..

It's possible this CVT is toast. Usually once performance problems present themselves on them, a fluid change won't help.

These are designed for drains/fills and those can be done easily given the drain plug on the pan and the charge tube up top (looks like a dipstick tube).
So it has a dipstick? She didn’t know.

so what is the consensus? D&F or just keep driving?

so what is the consensus? D&F or just keep driving?
There is NO 3rd gear, its a CVT. It's just a steel belt & pulleys. The tranny(TCM) has fake shifts(programmed RPM drop-offs) that help it to feel like a conventional step-shift automatic.

To change or not to change? That's a tough question!
I have a '15 Altima(same as the '14) and have D&F'd the CVT 2x thus far and it's fine.
If you decide to change the CVT fluid, let the lady know what the outcome could be and that you are not responsible.

Send her to a tranny shop that has a fluid EXCHANGE machine. There’s no “flushing” involved; it simply pushes out the old fluid as the new fluid is pushed in.

At this point there’s no harm in having that fluid changed. It won’t help if there’s another issue(s) involved, but I don’t believe it will cause the CVT to tank.

With this CVT (I have a ‘14 Altima) it’s important to have regular drain and fills or, as I did, a complete fluid exchange every 30k miles.

I told her on her new one to change it every 30k to be “safe”

There is NO 3rd gear, its a CVT. It's just a steel belt & pulleys. The tranny(TCM) has fake shifts(programmed RPM drop-offs) that help it to feel like a conventional step-shift automatic.

To change or not to change? That's a tough question!
I have a '15 Altima(same as the '14) and have D&F'd the CVT 2x thus far and it's fine.
If you decide to change the CVT fluid, let the lady know what the outcome could be and that you are not responsible.
Understood. I was just trying to give you all the “symptoms” she was giving me to help y’all give me your suggestions.

I’m leaning towards telling her to do a D&F with Nissan fluid and letting her know it could kill the CVT.

At least try and save it.

Her husband is one of my Elders. There won’t be any hard feelings either way.

She and her husband just want direction.
And if your "direction" results in unintended financial consequences, even if the circumstances were beyond your control...

Her husband is one of my Elders. There won’t be any hard feelings either way.
People are still people. It's a high-risk situation, I would avoid.

I talked to
And if your "direction" results in unintended financial consequences, even if the circumstances were beyond your control...

People are still people. It's a high-risk situation, I would avoid.
he’s well aware of the possibilities. We talked about it for 20 minutes. He said the only problem is it acts like a jake brake when coasting down hill. He says it revs up a lot higher than if used to. No hard shifting. Only problem is when coasting. Under acceleration everything is fine. Hmmm….

He’s leaning towards doing nothing and running it til it conks out. I guessed a new CVT would be about $3500 installed. Does that sound about right?

Drain and flush with Valvoline CVT fluid, and the understanding that the transmission is likely already toast.

Not much to lose doing this.

Also, change the TWO filters (which could fix the problem if they are clogged):

If it was my car I would do a drain and fill. Wouldn’t stress too much about the brand of CVT fluid. valvoline or even house brand O’Reilly or whatever your favorite parts store has in stock. Then if it had the same problem I’d trade it in at a dealership.

Keep in mind there could be unrelated issues they can cause poor driveability that are falsely attributed to the transmission. Bad MAF sensor, vacuum leak, clogged cats, etc.

All that said, pretty sure the newer Nissans with CVTs are programmed to shift slightly closer to a “real” automatic so you can’t compare how it drives from a 2014 to a 2023.

Just do a D&F. The Nissan CVT failure rhetoric is overblown, especially when referring to any sedan with the QR25.

If she's feeling a difference in performance, it was likely a fluke. Assuming there's no CEL with corresponding transmission codes, the unit itself is just fine.

Back