Changed tranny fluid on 2014 Mustang GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I changed the transmission fluid yesterday in my 2014 Mustang GT with the 6R80 trans. It went pretty smoothly. I put all four wheels up on ramps and still barely had room to get under the car. Prior to today, I had bought an extra Ford tranny pan and had a drain plug welded in and had also installed the Performance Automatic dipstick kit. I had also bought a huge drain pan that was big enough to cover the entire size of the pan so any messes were kept to a minimum. My car only had a little over 31,000 miles but I wanted to change it early based on FordTechMakuloco's recommendations in his Youtube video. I only got out about 5.75 quarts of fluid and that is with dumping the filter out and I ended up putting in 6 and it was right at the full mark on the PA dipstick. PA recommends only filling it up to about half way into the cross hatch area of their dipstick even though they say anywhere in the cross hatch is okay. I've left the fluid alone but may drain some out to get it to the halfway mark. The car shifts fine and seems slightly smoother than before. I let it idle for awhile and then took it for a drive to make sure the internal thermostat would be open when I checked the level. I used the Motorcraft Mercon LV and the correct Motorcraft filter. The dipstick made filling the tranny easier but kind of slow since occasionally the fluid would back up in the funnel and "burp" fluid out so you had to make sure you kept something to put over the funnel handy to avoid making a mess. All in all it went pretty smoothly and the old fluid wasn't that bad looking.

Here are some pictures of the pan with the drain plug welded in. I had this done before Dorman came out with a pan for this transmission that has the drain plug in it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is the bad thing about a car like the Mustang, they sit pretty low. Now that I have the drain plug, I can get to it without to much trouble. I won't be changing the filter again for awhile so I won't have to take the pan off for awhile and the next couple of changes will probably be drain and refills.

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
If Mustangs didn't sit low no one would want to own one, they could just get a Subaru.
wink.gif

I own the Mustang for it's power and the V8. A Subaru would not do it for me.

If you do another drain and fill within 20K miles and do them about every 50K miles from here on out you will be ahead of the curve.

Originally Posted by dave1251
If you do another drain and fill within 20K miles and do them about every 50K miles from here on out you will be ahead of the curve.

I was actually thinking of doing drain and refills every 30K but I may extend it.

Nice!

I thought about doing that on my 2013 F150

What plug did you use?

I used B&M last time but didn't have it welded.

This is the one I used. I cut the hole myself using a step drill bit and then had a local shop weld the drain plug in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmission-drain-plug-kit-weld-in-12mm-KIT-STEEL-BUNG-STEEL-PLUG-WASHER/153456521564?hash=item23bab8b15c:g:we8AAMXQVT9S6d3w

Dorman also make a replacement pan with a drain plug for this transmission.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F73ZLW...Q28M8&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back