Changed to MT-90. 2 Days were smooth. Now notchy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a transmission fluid change on Wednesday from dino oil to MT-90. Shifting gears were butter smooth for 2 straight days until Friday. Now it's notchy, dry and feels like I have to give an extra push onto the stick to shift from 0 to 1st gear (from full stop) and 1st to 2nd. I also hears dry "click click" sounds whenever I shift gears.

My car is Civic Ex Coupe 99, 5-speed manual transmission. I checked for oil leak but found none, so that's definitely not the case.

Right now it's summer, it's not supposed to be notchy under such weather circumstances. What gives? Is something damaged?

Last edited:
That`s exactly how MT90 did in my car as well. Get some Amsoil MTG. It`s the smoothest manual tranny oil you`ll ever find. I`ve had it in mine since 40,000 or so miles,and I now have 72,000 and it`s still smooth as silk.

The MT-90 is to thick for your Honda, not sure why it was smooth at first though. Like aquariuscsm said, you need Amsoil MTG, or redlines MTL which is their correct weight fluid for a honda manual tranny.

The MT-90 is a great fluid for transmissions requiring a 75w-90 (I use it in my toyota) but its too thick for the honda.

I always found this when I ran Redline in my BMW - it was good for a while, but after half to a year, it would get notchy.

I put in amsoil 5w-30 Trans oil and it has been perfect for a few years.

Everybody recommends Amsoil MTG but Pablo says MTF, which one OP should use in his Civic ?

Just changed trans fluid in my S2000 with Honda MTF and M1 75W90 in differential, so far shifting is butter smooth.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Everybody recommends Amsoil MTG but Pablo says MTF, which one OP should use in his Civic ?

Just changed trans fluid in my S2000 with Honda MTF and M1 75W90 in differential, so far shifting is butter smooth.

Yes - if someone can point to something that says this tranny really needs a 75W-90 MTG type product (14-18 cSt), I'm open minded. Everything I have says MTF (5W-30) types of viscosity.

Thank you, I'll replace it with Amsoil soon.

So is Amsoil MTF different from Amsoil MTG? Or are they basically the same thing? Which one is better for my Civic? If you can give the exact name/spec I'd greatly appreciate it. It's already a costly mistake (2 quarts of MT-90 plus $80 transmission fluid change) so I want to make sure that I get the right fluid this time around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rumero
Thank you, I'll replace it with Amsoil soon.

So is Amsoil MTF different from Amsoil MTG? Or are they basically the same thing? Which one is better for my Civic? If you can give the exact name/spec I'd greatly appreciate it. It's already a costly mistake (2 quarts of MT-90 plus $80 transmission fluid change) so I want to make sure that I get the right fluid this time around.

They are NOT the same thing. Use the MTF in the link above. If you choose the MTG, it may be slightly better than the MT-90, it's not the correct fluid. MTF is.

UPDATE:

Turns out after 3 days of notchiness it went back to butter-smooth again. I don't know what caused it to happen or why it went through 3 days of sluggish gear shifting before going back to normal but I'm happy that at least I don't have to redo the tranny oil change.

But I'll still get Amsoil MTF next time do the tranny oil change.

Last edited:
Pablo, is there such a thing as a new MTF; going from Honda Genuine to Amsoil MTF for instance, having some sort of 'change over' effect over time or should it be instant? Don't know much about transmissions(manuals anyway).

The Amsoil MTF seems to be working fine in my Civic since I put it in. Yet, it wasn't as 'butter' smooth as when I first got the fluid changed when purchasing the vehicle and having Honda Genuine used by our mechanic. It could be the age of the transmission showing. I figure the synchros are mostly gone anyway and I'm not sure of 'feeling' when a manual transmission may need servicing beyond fluids(bearing replacement or clutch related 'issue').

MT90 was a little ruff in my VW 1-2 shift and was not very good in cold weather. After trying several, Motul Motylgear 10w40 is buttery smooth. They even advertise it for use in notchy and Honda transmissions. Works great in the cold as well - motul.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back