Changed the oil on the 340i

tempImagel2nmxY.jpg

tempImageGRSIUl.jpg

tempImageyuiCZv.jpg

tempImage4wQqEh.jpg

Used 7 quarts of Castrol's finest. Cartridge oil filter located on rear driver side of engine. It looks worse than it is. Came right out. I never knew Castrol sealed their individual quarts! That was neat to see.

What size socket fits the top of that oil filter? I'm thinking 1 1/8" but that's a little loose on my MB. It looks to be identical though.
It could be 21 mm, but I can't find a 6 point socket in that size.
filter.jpg

View attachment 79251
View attachment 79252
View attachment 79253
View attachment 79254

Used 7 quarts of Castrol's finest. Cartridge oil filter located on rear driver side of engine. It looks worse than it is. Came right out. I never knew Castrol sealed their individual quarts! That was neat to see.
You need this:

You need this:

No! No!
BMW’s don’t have CBU issues last 10 years. Only N54 had that issue and effectiveness of catch can is questionable.
If concerned, LL04 would be better choice to address “potential “ CBU problem.

No! No!
BMW’s don’t have CBU issues last 10 years. Only N54 had that issue and effectiveness of catch can is questionable.
If concerned, LL04 would be better choice to address “potential “ CBU problem.
Did you even look at the link?

You need this:

On (almost) every cartridge car I have had loosening the filter cap and letting it drain, completing the rest of the service, and replacing the filter last means the filter is all but dry and greatly reduces the chance for drips or runs.

Is the B58 the same way or does the housing always hold some oil?

Wow! That's the cleanest, emptiest, garage I have ever seen in an occupied house!
Mine currently holds 6 motorcycles, a mower, a power washer, tool chest, and oil stash. I envy you, sort of, 'cause I also like my stuff.
LoL, it was the angle all the junk is behind me. Trust me. Kids bikes, scooters, strollers, cords, Christmas boxes, decorations. I keep it clean around the cars so we can open the doors and get in!
what's in the ammo box?
Bunch of old 12 gauge target shot
What size socket fits the top of that oil filter? I'm thinking 1 1/8" but that's a little loose on my MB. It looks to be identical though.
It could be 21 mm, but I can't find a 6 point socket in that size.
32mm, had to order the socket off eBay for $10.
Well, ok, better.
Even readily available in Wal Mart.
What do you recommend? I thought Castrol Euro 5w40 was top of the line.
On (almost) every cartridge car I have had loosening the filter cap and letting it drain, completing the rest of the service, and replacing the filter last means the filter is all but dry and greatly reduces the chance for drips or runs.

Is the B58 the same way or does the housing always hold some oil?
All of the oil drained out of the housing before I removed the filter. I barely spilled a drop! Very nice setup.

Back