Changed the oil on the 340i

That's what I figured. Since the tool @The Critic posted was part of a TSB, I figured it was geared towards people in a hurry.

@edyvw likes to pick nits and he'll tell you that Castrol 0W-40 is superior.
Actually for B58 I would go Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40, Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2.
Honestly, he can use Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 available in Wal Mart which is LL04and basically heavy version of LL17FE BMW uses in dealerships. But, BMW does list LL04as option in has engines, bcs. why not.

LoL, it was the angle all the junk is behind me. Trust me. Kids bikes, scooters, strollers, cords, Christmas boxes, decorations. I keep it clean around the cars so we can open the doors and get in!

Bunch of old 12 gauge target shot

32mm, had to order the socket off eBay for $10.

What do you recommend? I thought Castrol Euro 5w40 was top of the line.

All of the oil drained out of the housing before I removed the filter. I barely spilled a drop! Very nice setup.
Castrol Edge 5W40 is mediocre option.
LL01:
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40
Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2

You can use LL04 IMO with no worries. Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 goes for $22 in Wal Mart for 5qt.

I mean…that represents 90% of Mechanics, no? 🤣
I'd say yes and no. We're all in a hurry, but not every one is just doing oil changes, if you catch my drift. Someone with experience just cracks the housing and lets it drain while performing the rest of the job, versus pulling out a sopping wet filter, getting oil everywhere, and just blasting the side of the engine with a sureshot before it hits the door.

You need this:

Holy @!#$@! I can't believe this little gem in the TSB

"B. If the engine oil filter insert has broken apart inside the oil filter housing:
1. Replace the complete engine oil filter housing per the applicable repair instructions.
- Do not replace the heat exchanger
- Do not remove or try to clean the oil filter fragments from the engine oil filter housing"

Definitely don't use cheap filters for this engine family.

Back