Changed the oil on my parent's Mazda van today..

Status
Not open for further replies.
..and since I was running a bit low on cash, I went to Walmart and picked up some Tech2000 15w40 diesel engine oil and a Honeywell Defense oil filter. Like I said, I was low on cash, otherwise I would have bought some conventional XD3 plus gone across the road to Canadian Tire to get one of those Purolator-made Quaker State oil filters. The van only has to hold together for a few more months, so I'll be doing monthly oil changes to it until it dies.

quote:

Originally posted by 55:
so I'll be doing monthly oil changes to it until it dies.

Monthly oil changes??
shocked.gif

================================================

I didn't know anyone made a 30-day oil?... lol

Some folks here think Fram is a 30-day oil filter though... lol

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:

quote:

Originally posted by 55:

Monthly oil changes??
shocked.gif

...i'm impressed! wasn't the Cdn Tire guy quoting that 15w40 is rated to good for between 15 to 40 days between oci's?
lol.gif

quote:

Monthly oil changes??
shocked.gif

Yup. This van has had maybe 2 oil changes in 3 years, so I imagine it's all sludged to **** by now, so I think if I change the oil monthly and use an HDEO, maybe it'll clean up the engine a bit. That, and I'm using a Fram oil filter, so after a month it's all used up.

Just change the oil filter if you think its getting full and top it off w/ fresh hdeo. Also cut open the filter for confirmation and check by w/ us in 30 days.

I have one of these first gen MPVs. The 3.0 v6 is a pretty stout motor. Look in the oil fill hole with a flashlight to see if there is sludge. I'm betting it is minimal.

quote:

Originally posted by 55:
Yup. This van has had maybe 2 oil changes in 3 years, so I imagine it's all sludged to **** by now, so I think if I change the oil monthly and use an HDEO, maybe it'll clean up the engine a bit. That, and I'm using a Fram oil filter, so after a month it's all used up. [/QB]

Check out the additive forum and take a look at auto-rx my friend.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by 55:
Yup. This van has had maybe 2 oil changes in 3 years, so I imagine it's all sludged to **** by now, so I think if I change the oil monthly and use an HDEO, maybe it'll clean up the engine a bit. That, and I'm using a Fram oil filter, so after a month it's all used up.
Check out the additive forum and take a look at auto-rx my friend. [/QB]

Let me tell ya, if you were to crawl under the van and have a look at the rocker panels, which by the way are almost completely rotted through, you'd agree that it's not worth putting a bottle of ARX into it. If this van was worth saving, then yes, ARX would be used, but trust me, this van will not make it to the end of the year.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
================================================

I didn't know anyone made a 30-day oil?... lol

Some folks here think Fram is a 30-day oil filter though... lol

30 days or the first torn cardboard endcap, whichever comes first.
smile.gif

55--I agree with your decision to go cheap as possible. No sense in putting any money into a rust-bucket junker. Even so, you're putting more care into that thing than it's seen in quite some time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back