Changed the frontend lube - Yuk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the gear oil out of the frontend in my F150 last night and out poured this milky disgusting goo. Should have done this a long time ago!

I replaced the factory fill with Amsoil series 2000 75w-90 synthetic. In doing so I came up with an elaborate funnel/hose system to fill the frontend. But I needed a fill bottle with a spout, so I drained a full M1 gearlube bottle into an empty Amsoil container and cut the bottom of the M1 bottle out. When I cut the M1 bottle I found about a tablespooon worth of a translucent brown jelly (no to be confused with our board member Jelly!) in the bottom. It looked like growth media used in culture developement or something. It was very thick and gummy, but not sticky. It was the consistancy of Jello, but much stronger, because no matter how much I squeezed it, it would not break apart but rather slip through my fingers. Anybody know what this stuff was? A precursor to M1 grease?

What year is your F-150 and how many miles are on it? Did you remove the front dif cover or is there a drain plug? Also have you done deep water crossing that came up and over the dif? Thanks enquiring minds want to know
grin.gif

whimsey

Same experience this weekend!

98 Chevy S10 ZR2 45K

Never have done the front diff, as the dealer said that unless I went through deep water, it was OK. Well I never have gone through deep water, but since Im tryuing to maintain my truck as much as I can, I did it.

It came out murky brownish grey.

My thinking is that condensation does occur (there is a breather hose on these things typically to allow for expansion/contracting). On my truck at least, the front diff is always turning, and it is only the actuation of the front hubs that keeps 2wd/4hi set. This mechanical agitation probably allows more moist air to turn into the lube. Since the 4wd is rarely used, there is rarely a load on the diff (and usually when there is its in the winter when the water wouldnt come out anyway), and so heat is rarely generated to help get the water out of the lube.

Thats my thought at least... I dont go into water, and there are skid plates all along the underside of my truck, so it wouldnt be from splashing.

I guess the moral of the story is that the front diff should be done at least as often as the rear, if not more!

JMH

Thanks for the explanation MoleKule. Now that I think about it, the M1 had sat on a shelf in my basement for almost a year. Makes sense that the adds would settle out.

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
What year is your F-150 and how many miles are on it? Did you remove the front dif cover or is there a drain plug? Also have you done deep water crossing that came up and over the dif? Thanks enquiring minds want to know
grin.gif

whimsey

Hey Whimsey!

The truck is a 2001, 89,000 miles. Should have done this at 10,000 miles, but I'm claiming innocence based upon youth and ignorance!

No deep water crossing, but plenty of 4x4 use during the winter, especially this past winter. It is blatantly obvious to me that the diff fluid needs to be changed on a regular basis, probably at least every 25,000 miles.

The front diff was super easy to drain. The front end has a drain plug and fill plug. Removing the cover is difficult, as the sway bar and the tie rod must be removed and the cover is one of the supports for the axle housing on the crossmember. Unless work needs to be done on the axle/gear assemblies, the front cover is just to much work to take off.

I agree, the diff is an often forgotten part that should get done more often than it is...

But I've seen rear diff fluid at similar mileages that looks brand new... My MB had 55k on the rear diff fluid (mobil1) and it came out looking like it went in, and the diff has 228k on it!

JMH

If the front diff is never done, the break in metal particles will never be removed and will just go round and round causing unnecessary wear to bearings etc. I think and I believe many here agree that the first change is the most important and the sooner the better (like a couple thousand miles or so). The grey color seems to be mostly metal, it sticks to the magnet on mine.

quote:

When I cut the M1 bottle I found about a tablespooon worth of a translucent brown jelly (no to be confused with our board member Jelly!) in the bottom. It looked like growth media used in culture developement or something. It was very thick and gummy, but not sticky. It was the consistancy of Jello, but much stronger, because no matter how much I squeezed it, it would not break apart but rather slip through my fingers. Anybody know what this stuff was? A precursor to M1 grease?

What you have there is a component of the Gear Lube called the Thickener/Viscosity Index Improver, which is an olefin copolymer with a dispersant.

The same thing happenend to me a couple of weeks ago when I opend a bottle of Amsoil S2000 75W140 that had been unopended but sitting on the shelf for 18 months. I had received it from my BIL as a Christmas gift last year for a tractor differential.

A ring of olefin copolymer/dispersant had formed around the top.

But don't worry. Let it warm up and shake vigorously. It will redissolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back