Changed the factory fill on Dodge SRT-4, it was Green, Green, Green !......

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I thought I would dump the factory fill oil on my dodge srt-4 at 400 miles, to get rid of any production and wear metals. Break-in was described as being very short in the owners manual, 60 - 300 miles or so. So I dumped it tonight and the oil came out a very green colour, almost antifreeze like. Only thing I can think of is the german castrol which I've used before. The fluid felt very slippery and there wasnt much wear metals to be seen, a small bit.

I'm afraid that may have dumped out some very good oil, I replaced it with Castrol GTX 10w-30 to finsih out the first interval to 5000 kms (3000 miles). Then likely going with Mobil1 or some other good synthetic.

The owners manual listed the factory fill oil as a high quality energy conserving oil. The owners manual calls for 5w-30 and 10w-30 oil and recommends Mobil1 synthetic for aggressive driving. BTW, the antifreeze in this engine is orange, so the colour did not come from the antifreeze. It was earlier thought that the car came from the factory with Mobil1 oil, but that was later refuted , only the Viper comes from the factory with Mobil1 and its engine is broken in on a bench as part of the process. The SRT-4 reportedly gets the same factory oil as all other neons/sx vehicles.

what do you guys think of this.

Joey

Could be from a dye added by the factory/dealer to inspect for leaks before/after shipment.

Cool car, if I had the loot I'd store the SHO & grab an SRT-4..but alas, I'll have to wait.
smile.gif

Isn't Schaeffer's green like antifreeze. Maybe they made some deal with Chrysler
grin.gif

BTW, whatever you do, don't come down here to Texas with your pocket-rocket...or I'll have teach you a lesson.
wink.gif

[ December 05, 2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
BTW, whatever you do, don't come down here to Texas with your pocket-rocket...or I'll have teach you a lesson.
wink.gif

I concur...... you may be faster but we can still run over you. JK.... enjoy the new ride!

Per Car and Driver: The Neon SRT is Chrysler second fastest car .......... only second to the Viper. 0-60 in 5.3 sec.

Virtoso is correct. I got my first oil change at Ford and the oil was green. The Ford Mechanic said all Fords come with a green dye in the oil. He said "in case of a leak, we'll know what it is". I said "if any mechanic can't tell engine oil from tranny oil, then they should be working at MacDonalds". Needless to say, he didn't like that too much.

quote:

Originally posted by StratGT:
I said "if any mechanic can't tell engine oil from tranny oil, then they should be working at MacDonalds". Needless to say, he didn't like that too much.

I would think it's more for finding the dripping fluid in a dark place, rather than to tell the difference between that and other fluids.

My Mazda 6 (v6, duratec) came with the green oil too. Seems to light up rather nice with a black light too.
tongue.gif

those new srt neons aren't a joke, they will probably stay up with the v8s for a bit until they start getting near top end. Im not a neon person(kinda hate them), but this is one car that dodge(chrysler) obviously did their hw on.

thanks for the replies everyone, that is good info to know. I dont feel so bad for dumping the fluid now, it will likely just a mediocre fluid then with some dye in it.

the car actually drives somewhat like a muscle car, from the exterior it has a very similar sound to a Mustang GT, cause this thing has no mufflers on it. As far as speed, it goes toe to toe with the Mustang Mach1, pretty much identical times at all speeds.

****, Texas sounds like one tough place, better stay the hell away from there, unless I get a gun rack on the rear shelf or some large bull horns on the front hood.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back