Changed rear wheel bearings today. Are NSK bearings good?

Had a humming noise while driving in my Avalon. Sounded like from the rear so I ordered some bearings from Rock Auto and installed them today. I chose NSK bearings.

Anyone have experience with them or have a favorite brand they like?

NSK is a Japanese brand. You'll find that in Japanese cars. Good brand. However i've got a TIMKEN front wheel bearings installed in my Isuzu. It was in the late 1990 I installed this pair and it is still holding up quite really good. What's really odd is, one is made in France & the other one is made in Poland and they looked exactly identical. I gave it a lot of syn blend grease, more grease and drowned it with more grease. LOL

The bearings installed in today's cars are oil sealed & is manufactured to lasts for the lifetime of the car. You've probably drove the car into a flooded area or has been flooded when the car was parked.

Last edited:
The bearings installed in today's cars are oil sealed & is manufactured to lasts for the lifetime of the car. You've probably drove the car into a flooded area or has been flooded when the car was parked.

Well I live in Michigan and the car has 194,000 on it.

Well I live in Michigan and the car has 194,000 on it.
Moisture could have entered into the sealed bearings and dried the lubricant. My 1984 Isuzu has more than 300K miles, although the odometer stopped at 199K in the early 2000. So I assume it has more than 300K it still has the original sealed bearings at the back wheels. It's garage kept & never driven into a flooded street. The front wheel bearings isn't sealed it gave up sometime in 1990s. I replaced the pair with TIMKEN bearings.
As long moisture & water never enters the sealed bearings, they'll last for the life of the car.

Last edited:
Back