Changed out the Winter Tires, Fuel economy Jumped

Wife drives a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. Her driving pattern is fairly consistent.
Changed out her Hakk9 studded winters for OE Michelin Primacy. I reset the trip meter, didn't mention a thing to her.
Fuel economy went from 8.5L/100 km (28 mpg) to 7.4L/100km (32 mpg).
Weather was similar before and after and mileage tracked for about a week before and after.

I just noticed this same thing yesterday, also with Hakapeliittas vs. Michelin. I took off the studded R2s (just discontinued model; they were new in 2017 and are still in 90% tread/like new), and put the Michelin defenders (new last year) back on the car. Went from like 21.5 mpg to 26mpg on a volvo XC wagon. I have never noticed that big a difference between winter/summer tires before.

I just noticed this same thing yesterday, also with Hakapeliittas vs. Michelin. I took off the studded R2s (just discontinued model; they were new in 2017 and are still in 90% tread/like new), and put the Michelin defenders (new last year) back on the car. Went from like 21.5 mpg to 26mpg on a volvo XC wagon. I have never noticed that big a difference between winter/summer tires before.
Nokian Hakka R2 isn't available with studs.

So tires with better rolling resistance have better fuel economy? Who knew!

BUT to be fair, the higher ambient temperatures also contribute to that. Your engine only operates at optimal efficiency once it gets up to temp. and then there are the other variables like whether the same drivetrain ratio vs speed in route.

Overall, forget about it. Either you need winter tires or you don't, and the better they are at winter, the more your fuel economy will suffer, all else equal.

There is such a thing as free lunch, but not if it's a perpetual, non-sustainable offer.

On the other hand if your wife knows you frequent this forum, she could just be messing with you. She really shouldn't be driving at all if she doesn't even check/notice a tire change. Checking tire condition isn't something I'd expect people do every time they drive, but by the time they have enough mileage to get enough data to be confident about a fuel economy difference, yeah she shouldn't drive if not checking tires often enough to notice the tire switch. Not to be mean, that just makes her the average driven, and the average driver shouldn't be on public roads either, lol.

Get off my lawn! ;)

So tires with better rolling resistance have better fuel economy? Who knew!

BUT to be fair, the higher ambient temperatures also contribute to that. Your engine only operates at optimal efficiency once it gets up to temp. and then there are the other variables like whether the same drivetrain ratio vs speed in route.

Overall, forget about it. Either you need winter tires or you don't, and the better they are at winter, the more your fuel economy will suffer, all else equal.

There is such a thing as free lunch, but not if it's a perpetual, non-sustainable offer.

On the other hand if your wife knows you frequent this forum, she could just be messing with you. She really shouldn't be driving at all if she doesn't even check/notice a tire change. Checking tire condition isn't something I'd expect people do every time they drive, but by the time they have enough mileage to get enough data to be confident about a fuel economy difference, yeah she shouldn't drive if not checking tires often enough to notice the tire switch. Not to be mean, that just makes her the average driven, and the average driver shouldn't be on public roads either, lol.

Get off my lawn! ;)
Oh, she knew about the tire change. She hates the studs. Too Noisy. Didn't tell her about the dash mpg reset.
But one of the Michelins developed a slow leak.
She noticed it before leaving for an errand.
Frankly, I may have missed it. Pinhole just where the tread meets the sidewall. No TPMS for Canada RAV4s, not required by law.
Manufacturing defect imo, going to a Michelin dealer today, should be interesting. About 6,000 miles on the tire.

Going to change out the winter tyres in a week or so, weather permitting. I also expect better fuel economy but not to the same extend as UHP summer tyres aren't stellar with rolling resistance either.

This morning's trip resulted in 4.6l/100 km fuel consumption (51 mpg).

Same here , 4 m.p.g. increase with the 6 month old RT43s' H-rated in place of the Cooper Evolution winter with studs . Warmer weather contributes as well . They're set at 35 P.S.I.. New tank of gas with the RT43s' is unkown winter blend non Top Tier 90 w/o E10 along with 10 ounce bottle of CHEVRON Techron Compalete Fuel System Cleaner . Hope to get 37+ , it was averaging around 33 .

Last edited:
Nitto SN-2's while they don't claim to be low rolling resistance, got better fuel economy than my UHPAS tires. the SN-2's got the same fuel economy as the stock ContiProContacts.

The Nokian WR G4 SUV, I don't notice a fuel economy drop either.

Some winter tires are made to be LRR, aside from Nokian, Michelins with Total Performance, such as the Xice Snow

Back