Changed oil today, couldn't get the filter off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done and congratulations!
A quality metal strap type filter wrench is probably a good choice.
A quality flute tool is also good.

But the best tool is your hand not overtightening the dang filter in the first place!
And oil the gasket...

But you already knew this.

Last edited:
I think fools over tighten filters (nothing new there)
I think the taps which cut threads into baseplates can be made badly or worn. I know I've seen plainly crooked center holes.
There's nothing to stop a filter company from importing baseplates from heaven knows where. I'd bet batches of baseplates are just dumped into the assembly line's hopper.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk

But the best tool is your hand not overtightening the dang filter in the first place!
And oil the gasket...

But you already knew this.

Well, things don't always work that way. I had a 1965 Ford truck, the first year of the 300 six, that would require either the screwdriver trick or hammer and chisel to remove the base plate after the screwdriver failed to remove the filter. This was after installing with an oiled gasket and tightening 3/4 turn by hand. Every single fracking time.

My 1973 Toyota Corolla would require a breaker bar and kicking with both feet to remove the drain plug after installing just snug with a new crush washer and a standard ratchet handle. Every single fracking time.

With every other vehicle I've owned the difficulty of removal has been proportional to the force applied during installation. The above examples would self tighten even when tightened just enough to prevent leakage.

Ed

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I have used strap type filters in past for some very challenging filters I could not get off any other way. These will crush the filter until it finally comes off.

+2
This one ALWAYS works. It can also be used for other things. It is inexpensive and a good tool to have in your tool box.
https://www.amazon.com/ATD-5208-Strap-Ty...l+filter+wrench

My son was home for holidays so time to do an oil change. He lives in a appt and had his last change done at a quick change place. Sure enough, overtightened drain plug and the oil filter was solidly overtightened. Rather than get western with the filter, I left it on as he had to hit the highway and I didn’t want to get half way with crushing a filter. Also, I may be wrong but I’m starting to believe that if you arrive at a quick change place with an over tightened filter, they’ll wipe it with a rag and charge you for a new one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back