Changed Oil on the 05 Suburban yesterday

Changed the oil and filter on the 2005 Suburban yesterday.

We picked up the old girl with 203k on the clock. I went through the whole truck and did an oil change back then. Pulled off a jobber filter and drained unknown oil. Didn't look bad but was ready to be changed. Back then, in went 6qts of Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and a Wix 51042.

Drained that fill today at 205k -- easy to keep all of the vehicles on a 5k interval, easy for the wife to track. Found a single quart of Mobil 1 15w-50 in my stash. That went in along with 5qts of Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and another Wix 51042.

Pretty uneventul besides me putting on one Wix, then taking it off - grabbing another one, and putting it on. Original one had a dent I didn't like. Probably would've been fine but my anxiety would keep me up at the thought of a leak forming there!

Old girl runs good, real good. Starts real nice (especially after throttle body cleaning), and has good oil pressure. 35-40 at hot idle and 50+ cruising down the Thruway doing 65-70mph. When we first picked it up, it had a slight lifter noise from the right head. That noise is getting harder and harder to hear. Might be cleaning... who knows. Runs well, not going to touch it. If it ever pukes a motor, there is plenty more where that came from.

What I am looking forward to is soon we will be pulling all of the seats out, pulling the carpet, and scrubbing/pressure washing it along with a full interior detail. Then it'll be perfect.

I remember seeing your thread when you got it; do you have any updated pics of the truck?
Seems like it's in great care and has a ton of life left in it!

Under your care she’s got another 100k in her easy.
I wish redhat the best of luck with his truck. His care and attention to oil changes should keep the motor alive at least another 100K.

But there are a ton of other systems (steering, brake lines, suspension, starters, alternators, water pumps, etc.) that are subject to failure from age, miles and rust. Of course they can always be fixed or replaced, but at some point in time for most vehicles that cost exceeds the value of a repair on a well used vehicle.

I wish redhat the best of luck with his truck. His care and attention to oil changes should keep the motor alive at least another 100K.

But there are a ton of other systems (steering, brake lines, suspension, starters, alternators, water pumps, etc.) that are subject to failure from age, miles and rust. Of course they can always be fixed or replaced, but at some point in time for most vehicles that cost exceeds the value of a repair on a well used vehicle.
Thank you ! I appreciate that. I definitely try to keep things well maintained.

Fortunately when I picked this thing up, I just did a whole "refresh". All coolant hoses, brake hoses, a new alternator, water pump, flushed all fluids. New OE fuel pump, all new filters, new battery, flushed the power steering. New AC and serpentine tensioners, new belts, pulled the exhaust manifolds, replaced the manifold gaskets, installed new ARP manifold bolts. New plugs and wires. U-joints were just done, newer shocks in the front, I put new shocks in the rear. Tranny fluid and filter -- tranny was just put in the truck. Front suspension was super tight, but the boots on the oter tie-rods were split - So I opted for new inner and outer tie rods. The transfer case was dry and I did have to put a rebuilt one in it.

Hoping for a long happy life from it.

I do need to change the rear bump stops. Otherwise, I don't think I have much more maintenance items to replace. But I'll probably think of more.

I am thankful the whole truck is clean -- that is what makes it worth it.

Back