Changed oil on 2.0

20210918_140951.jpg

Used fram ultra from amazon that had the metal backing, T4 Rotella 15w40 should last another 10,000 miles.

Snapchat-980020308.jpg

Lol I didn't even know there was a sticker saying to comply with 502.00 oil.
Big joke to Volkswagen, real ones use 15w40.

I also changed my ATF again after a month of using the first flush, next flush in the next month.
I changed some of the brake fluid too, actually I forgot it used dot 4 and put in dot 3, I need to flush it out again anyways after the brake job I got done with.

The oil was good at 10,000 miles. I will continue to use 15w40 conventional for 10,000 mile OCI's .
I broke some of the little yellow tube on the dipstick, its like it gave up, oh well.

I still don’t get why you’re not using a VW approved oil. Makes no sense
Why bother using VW approved oil on a 2.0 engine from mk4 to mk6 that has only had minor revisions such as timing belt setup and some added electrical assistance systems.

I've used everything from 5w20 , 10w30, 10w40, 15w40, 20w50, Straight 40, Straight 30, and Straight 50.
It all depends on how I am going to operate automobile.

There is no oil burning in the Jetta, though I do have a higher risk of poisoning the catalytic converter, I still haven't, even on the 2.5 that has had 400,000 miles only running 15w40 the catalytic converter was working quite well.

There is no VVT either.

It is a basic engine that just runs really lean.

If i'm going to run oil for a very long time without worrying about shearing and breaking down easily, 15w40 just has to be the best there is.

if you want the cheapest yet pretty stout full syn diesel oil chevron delo xsp 5w-40 in 2.5g jugs shipped free by wallys. like 1200zddp and 1100ph with a bit of moly and lspi is impossible with its detergent composition even if your engine could suffer from it.

At like 4.40 or less per quart for a 5w-40 full syn dual rated oil you cant really beat it. Anly a few bucks more per gallon jug compared to conventional t4. t4 aint bad but id rather buy a 5 gal bucket of travelers instead.

I doubt 15w40 will hurt that engine.
Seems like you got a plan that should work.
In my experiences lower hp engines last forever with basic maintenance.

if you want the cheapest yet pretty stout full syn diesel oil chevron delo xsp 5w-40 in 2.5g jugs shipped free by wallys. like 1200zddp and 1100ph with a bit of moly and lspi is impossible with its detergent composition even if your engine could suffer from it.

At like 4.40 or less per quart for a 5w-40 full syn dual rated oil you cant really beat it. Anly a few bucks more per gallon jug compared to conventional t4. t4 aint bad but id rather buy a 5 gal bucket of travelers instead.
Delo XSP only has about 800ppm of phos, the old CJ-4/SM version which was branded 400LE had 1200ppm, but since the CK-4/SN switchover they reduced it to 800ppm to comply with the APIs new rules on dual rated oils.

Delo XSP only has about 800ppm of phos, the old CJ-4/SM version which was branded 400LE had 1200ppm, but since the CK-4/SN switchover they reduced it to 800ppm to comply with the APIs new rules on dual rated oils.
Ah i got it mixed up youre right. But still lower additive t6 is still known to produce lower wear metals than t4 with its higher add pack. Base stock still does a lot but that cant be seen easily and delo 5w-40 is at 4.2 hths which is nice and for its price in 10qt jugs it's really good.

Pennzoil platinum is also low wear metal producing yet is low on anti wear additives. Their new 0w-40 is on sale online at wm or at least was when i saw it recently for $19-20 a jug. another one to consider.

2.0 what? This could be anything from a GLI to that 2.slow tractor motor they used in the 2011.

I still don’t get why you’re not using a VW approved oil. Makes no sense
Owners manual suggestions make sense on a new engine. I love hearing from people with a very high mileage engine that talk about always using the manufacturer suggested oil. :rolleyes: Keep up with the oil changes, etc. and that engine will last.

Conventional for 10,000 mile OCIs is a proven recipe for sludge.
I guess it depends on how OP's putting the 10k on there if it's mostly highway miles, less than somewhere around 200 hours on HDEO should not much of a big deal especially in an older not very hard on oil port injected engine also with gasoline going to ultra low sulfur that should make it even easier on the oil. Although the sumps are much larger and they typically incorporate a bypass filter to deal with the soot and other fine particles, most of these diesel oils are rated for extended drains in on highway vehicles going over 1000hours.

I might put 15W40 in a 50-year-old Beetle or in a Golf Mk1 but I would not an oil rated for a Diesel engine in a gasser.

I guess it depends on how OP's putting the 10k on there if it's mostly highway miles, less than somewhere around 200 hours on HDEO should not much of a big deal especially in an older not very hard on oil port injected engine also with gasoline going to ultra low sulfur that should make it even easier on the oil. Although the sumps are much larger and they typically incorporate a bypass filter to deal with the soot and other fine particles, most of these diesel oils are rated for extended drains in on highway vehicles going over 1000hours.
Its combined town and highway, barely any stop and go traffic anywhere.
The engine is really easy on oil, so 15w40 is the best year long oil here in the south.

Back