Changed oil in my simplicity 7 22 snow blower.

Think its been three years since I did my simplicity tractors and snowblowers. Had a serious injury and have not been able to do much in the garage.

So i grabbed a quart of mobil 1 5 W 20 for the snowblower .. i was tired and it was close... i dont think it will hurt anything although it might be light.
Anybody know if a 20 year old techumseh 7 hp is picky ??

Attachments

• 20211030_165917.jpg
    20211030_165917.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 16
eh i wouldnt be concerned. There are people who never change the oil and especially on a snow blower the oil will probably have water from condensation and fuel dilution thinning out the oil.

Think its been three years since I did my simplicity tractors and snowblowers. Had a serious injury and have not been able to do much in the garage.

So i grabbed a quart of mobil 1 5 W 20 for the snowblower .. i was tired and it was close... i dont think it will hurt anything although it might be light.
Anybody know if a 20 year old techumseh 7 hp is picky ??
my old 1980 with a 10 horse tech engine speced 5w20 in the manual.

Ok thanks. Figured 5 w 30 or 10 w 30 would be spec. But it only runs about 5 hours a year.. and having fresh oil on a regular basis seems like a good plan.

I check it several times each snow season.. and its full now.. if i can get back to changing oil every season or even every other season thats ten hours.

So it seems they dont use much oil. Or i dont run them enough to notice.

eh i wouldnt be concerned. There are people who never change the oil and especially on a snow blower the oil will probably have water from condensation and fuel dilution thinning out the oil.
Your right of course.. but the oil looked really good to me.. dark.. but no foam and zero water or spots .. just looked like textbook dirty oil.. happy with that after three years.. my longest oil service intervals are all being fixed this fall

No but knowing it's a snow blower id prefer to use pennzoil platinum 5w-30 next time around but 5w-20 you had laying around wont hurt it.

briggs, kohler, tecumseh have all off and on over time specced 5w-20.
I have a powerpuilt snow 8hp powering a 27'blower, so it gets worked hard. I have M1 truck & suv 0w20 for it and the bolens qt17.
The M1 5w20 will work just fine, a 0w20 would have been a better choise for starting.

-harvey

I’ll say this, you’re getting a good run on a couple of threads here.
Its the season. I have taken 8 gallons of oil to recycle in the last 2 weeks. Still have a bunch of machines to work on.
My maintainance has been behind from a very bad brain injury. So getting stuff done is difficult. Just had another knee surgery as well. So its painful to try to do much. But some stuff has been un tended three years.

Back